Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to 'empty' a folder to a size of 0kb

• Please log in to reply

Manku

Manku

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Dear All,
I am facing a problem having big nuisance value. I use 'Backer' programme to synchronize my 2 PCs. The settings say that empty directories are to be deleted in either computer. The problem is that even when, from my sde, the folder is empty, it is still not 0kb and hence not deleted.

Let me be more specific. Suppose I make a folder by the name of ABC's Wedding and I put in 10 pictures in that. I synchronize it and it gets copied to my other computer. Now suppose I rename the folder or delete it or move it to some other place, the Backer programme would delete all the files (10 pictures) from the second computer while synchronizing; BUT it will also make a folder ABC's Wedding in my first computer in original place, since the folder never got emptied in the second computer and therefore was not deleted. As a result I am left with loads of folders on both computers and these folders are invariable less than 100kbs.

Any solution would be wellcome. Thanks in advance for the effort spent in going through this problem and taking pains to solve it.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the programme let you choose which folders are synchronised

synctoy for XP (from my signature) works with folder pairs, if you rename one folder it won't run. You can choose which folder pairs you synchronise

Manku

Manku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, the programme lets me choose the folders to synchronize. I have chosen it to be 'My documents' (the whole of it). It is easier than specifying individual folders.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at synctoy as there are options for synchronising, if none are suitable, post back

Definitions of SyncToy Actions
SyncToy can perform five actions on folder pairs.

Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.

Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.

Subscribe: Updated files on the right are copied to the left if the file name already exists on the left.

Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.

Combine: New and updated files are copied both ways. Nothing happens to renamed and deleted files.

I have a folder pair and move anything in to synchronise then move it on each computer to suit, this can be done with files and folders

Manku

Manku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Please excuse me for the delay in replying.

I am sorry, I would not like to change my backup programme. These options are available in that programme also. Could you suggest me a utility which lists all the 'empty' directories, that is, directories with no user files?

Thanks for your interest, time and patience.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it do the same with echo, even if you just use that to update the back up then return to using synchronise

Otherwise you could ask their support

Odd that the programme recognises the images are deleted but insists on making a folder

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Have you checked there are no hidden files left in the folders i.e. Thumbs.db

Just a thought.