Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Omega-3 fatty acids

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The risk of macular degeneration, which causes blindness in aging people, can be lowered by greater consumption of vitamin D and foods like oily fish that have high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, according to new studies released Monday.

Macular degeneration involves the deterioration of the macula, located in the back of the retina and responsible for the acuity of a person's central vision, and occurs mostly in aging men and women.

It affects more than seven million people in the United States over 40 years old, and with no clear way to prevent its onset.

But scientists in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group, supported by the national Institutes of Health, found people who consume more omega-3 fatty acids -- found in large amounts in fish like tuna and salmon -- have a lower incidence of advanced age-related macular degeneration (AMD), according to a summary of the study.

They also found that those who show higher blood levels of vitamin D appear to have a lower chance of the early stages of AMD.

"Milk intake was inversely associated with early AMD. Fish intake was inversely associated with advanced AMD," they said.

The research group studied 4,519 people who were between 60 and 80 when the study began in the 1990s. Of them, 1,115 had no AMD symptoms at the beginning, while 658 had severe AMD.

The researchers found that those in the first group had high levels of omega-3 fatty acid consumption while those with severe AMD had corresponding low levels.

"Eating more than two medium (4-ounce, 110 grams) servings of fish per week or more than one medium serving of broiled or baked fish was associated with the lowest risk for advanced AMD," the researchers said.

They postulated that the fatty acids may protect the retina by promoting cell survival and the functioning of blood vessels, as well as affecting specific gene activation.

The vitamin D study results meanwhile suggested that vitamin D might reduce inflammation of the retina, or prevent the growth of new blood vessels, which contributes to some types of AMD, the scientists said.

The two studies are published in the May issue of Archives of Opthamology

http://uk.news.yahoo...ng-0b0437e.html

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks for good info Keith. I have age related macular degeneration according to the VA Hospital. Have gone to 2% milk and lots of sea food. Used to be "see" food! Keep 'em coming.

Ron

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
" Conclusion: Omega 3 fatty acids seem to be very effective to the people who are at higher risk for coronary heart disease and who have had already heart attack. They lower the chances for second heart attack. AHA Dietary Guidelines 2002 recommends twice weekly eating fatty fish see fig 4. Alternative sources of omega 3 fatty acids for vegetarians and those who could not afford for fish are vegetable oil rich in omega 3 fatty acids. It is highly recommended to use soybean oil and canola oil for cooking food. Flax seed oil contains omega 3 fatty acids about double that of fish. In the Countries like ours where poverty and other so called religious and superstitious believes affect social habits, vegetable oils may play a very positive role in lowering fatal heart attacks and deaths from CHD. Pregnant women and children should limit their consumption of fish with high mercury level such as sword fish, shark, whale and king mackerel though omega 3 fatty acids are being observed to prevent premature childbirth. "

http://www.kungchido.com/om3.htm

http://www.nutraingr...s...;n=wh20&ec=

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tens of thousands of heart attack victims are to be prescribed fish oil supplements under guidelines to be published today.

Doctors will tell heart patients to eat at least two portions of oily fish per week or take omega 3 fatty acid tablets for up to four years to reduce the risks of a second attack.

Previous research has suggested that eating oily fish or taking the supplements has a range of health benefits including reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, better immune system functioning, and improved behaviour in primary school age children.

A clinical trial found daily 1g doses of highly concentrated omega 3 within three months of a heart attack cut the risk of a patient later dying suddenly by 45 per cent.

The recommendation, published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice), is part of wide-ranging advice designed to reduce the risks of a secondary attack among the 160,000 people who survive a first heart attack each year.

http://www.telegraph...23/nomega23.xml

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You've prompted me to do some research. Seems like there are a number of benefits to adding the supplement to your diet, and little if any downside. The well respected Mayo Clinic has a good breakdown of the potential benefits with letter grades here : http://www.mayoclini...patient-fishoil

*admin adding Omega 3 to his daily routine. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive taken them on and off for a couple years(back on now) they really make a difference they arent just for keeping your heart going the help the mind as well, i take omega 3 with ginko and it really helps improve mental performance and memory and ive found they kinda help with depression(although your brain working a bit better is probably where that comes from.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Ive taken them on and off for a couple years(back on now) they really make a difference they arent just for keeping your heart going the help the mind as well, i take omega 3 with ginko and it really helps improve mental performance and memory and ive found they kinda help with depression(although your brain working a bit better is probably where that comes from.

Lol, I better get on a HIGH omega 3 diet then with exams coming up, I'll need all the anti depressants for the marks that I'm going to receive. :whistling:
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't understand why people would want to take a tablet when you could eat the real thing! And fish is so GOOD, too... Yum yum! :whistling:

My wife is currently pregnant and studying natural medicine (to be a naturopath), and she's done heaps of research into fish (also look out for mercury levels) and made so many changes to our diet, so now I'm the fish cook and once or twice a week (when we can afford it!) I cook a nice meal of fresh fish with something on the side...

XiXo

XiXo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've found the easiest way to add omega-3's is with ground flaxseed - I add it to just about everything. It's not that expensive, your body absorbs the goods better than with the whole seed (available at most health food stores in bulk, if you want to go that way), and can be added to everything from pancakes to burgers to smoothies...

It's also easier (for me, anyway) to store, as I always forgot to put my flaxseed oil (when I used that) in the fridge.