Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode Password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

long_p1

long_p1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guys, How are you all!?

This is my first post, I have looked through the other forums but cant find any info on this problem but sorry if it is.

Basicly I have a HP Laptop which I brought from my company when they went under, It has been running slow recently & I now know it has a Trogan virus. I have BullGuard Anti-Virus but need to boot in Safe mode to delete the Dll file; However here is the problem, when i do so it doesn't accept my password. Is this because I'm not the administrator? What else can i do? Any ideas please?

Many Thanks

P.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
try this:

username: administrator with a blank password.

long_p1

long_p1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
N.B. Just to note, the password is not "blank" and I cant get that password now! :-(

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
When booting into Safe Mode, are you using "Administrator" as the username or are you using "Your" username?

If you don't have the Administrator's password, here are your options:

1. Contact someone from that company who may know what the password is. If the company is now defunct, that may not be an option.

2. If your username is in the Administrator security group, you can go into Control Panel, Users, and change the password for "Administrator".

3. Reinstall Windows XP.

It is against the ToS of GeeksToGo to help with the bypassing of ANY kind of password. Though your intentions might be genuine, others who find this topic might have intentions that are not so genuine, and therefore we are erring on the side of caution when it comes to these types of situations. I am now closing this topic. I hope you understand.