Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2 will not install

• Please log in to reply

sarahd711

sarahd711

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am trying to update my family's desktop computer. Part of the routine is ensuring that all Windows/Microsoft updates are installed (of course). I found that Service Pack 2 was not installed on our computer, so I attempted to install it...five times. The update failed every time. After I update it says that it failed and that the problem is as such: "Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed." I thought maybe Norton was getting in the way for some reason, so I turned it off for the time being. That didn't work either.

I really need to get this installed for the added security but I have no idea why it will not install. Any ideas? Thanks.

Our desktop is running on Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is the automatic updates turned on ? control panel security center

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you follow the instructions on preparing for SP2 first?

http://www.microsoft...whattoknow.mspx

Please note when installing SP2 your system has to be malware free otherwise it can cause problems.

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes, automatic updates is and has been turned on.

Also, I did as the Microsoft website provided by tuxmaster said, and there is no malware found on the PC. Also, the computer meets all requirements for downloading SP2.

SP2 would still not install and I received the same error message.

I have found out that SP2 was installed once, but was causing problems with the internet so was thus uninstalled. Could this be a problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter

Is background intelligent transfer running

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
bits is running

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the update page show and 0x code with click here for details or things you can try

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
No, it does not.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Turn automatic updates off then run a repair install, this takes 45 minutes and removes all updates, then you can download them in the order Microsoft Update presents them, usually some updates, then SP2 followed by more updates

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Worked, thanks for the solution! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff