Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minidump issue but in SP2

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hello, all

I'm suddenly having the EXACT problem described on the below Microsoft page.

However the download/patch on that page is ONLY for SP1.

I have SP2

Here's the page, but I've pasted the detailed info below...

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Overview
Microsoft has released a patch that addresses the "System has recovered from a serious error" issue in Windows XP, and is discussed in Knowledge Base Article 317277. Download now to prevent this message from occurring each time the machine boots.

Symptoms
If Windows XP restarts because of a serious error, the Windows Error Reporting tool prompts you to report the problem to Microsoft for troubleshooting purposes. Windows may begin prompting you to report this information every time you restart the computer, even if no error occurred during the previous session. After this problem begins to occur, you are prompted to send the information after every restart, even if you choose not to send the information.

Cause
This problem occurs because after a Minidump (or memory dump) file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a memory dump file needs to be written.

Resolution
To resolve this problem, download this file.

Any ideas about what to do about this? I've seen other posts on here that are similar but none seem to detail exactly the issue I'm having...which is perfectly described my Microsoft themselves.

Thank you.

Phlegmbot

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are you getting blue screens on every shutdown?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
The answer to your question is No...and yes.

Here's what I generally do:

I've got a laptop, okay? So, I usually just close it and move on with my day then, at some point open it up again and Windows is "Restored," and I continue from where I left off. I usually don't Shut Down until the end of my day.

However, instead of restoring, the screen goes from the brand (Toshiba in this case) welcome/status page to a QUICK flash of a blue screen that I don't have time to read b/c it disappears too fast. THe only words Iv'e been able to see are "Device driver failed." (I just updated my ATI Radeon driver today, thinking THAT might be the cause -- it's not). THEN i get a DOS menu asking me to either continue the restore or re-boot.

Continuing the restore doesn't work. So I re-boot.

Windows loads up without issue (without blue screens), but then sends an error report.

The last error had the following info attached to it:
C:\DOCUME~1\Test\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERaa22.dir00\Mini051507-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Test\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERaa22.dir00\sysdata.xml

That directory and its files do not exist. Yes, I searched "Hidden Files."

My only other discovery was that a Flash Plugin was causing SOME problems, and ITS directory also doesn't exist. I've removed this plugin and do not yet know if that was somehow the cause of these problems.

And that's pretty much it.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried rolling back the ATI Drivers?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Yes, I have.

There's nothing to roll back to.

So then I decided to try to UPDATE the drivers -- it won't update (I'm going to call ATI tech tomorrow about this).

Now I'm getting this error:
Posted Image

Any clues?

Oh and this is the full error info when XP sends the error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\Test\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERad04.dir00\Mini051507-05.dmp (<-- that number, "05," goes up 1 each time this occurs)
C:\DOCUME~1\Test\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERad04.dir00\sysdata.xml

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 00000016 BCP2 : 0000001C BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 805024BA OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lets have a look at those minidumps.

Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages in windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Okay, Tux!

I've attached the Zip which as the folder in which the last 4 minidumps can be found.

Thanks muchly!!

Phlegmbot

Attached Files

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Looks like your first one is a blue screen

Probably caused by tffsport.sys The blue screen error message you got was. 0x0a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Second BSOD was Same
Third BSOD was Same
Fourth BSOD was Same.

As for what TFFSport.sys is I have to look at that more. However from a quick look it looks like it is going to be a Microsoft driver.

So put in your OSCD then go to start Run type sfc /scannow.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Well, oca.microsoft.com is the online crash anaylsis from Microsoft. Try disabling error reporting to avoid that.

As for the tffsport.sys file, yes it is a Windows file. The system file checker as mentioned, or sfc, should do the trick.

Edited by Cilix, 16 May 2007 - 09:30 AM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Well, oca.microsoft.com is the online crash anaylsis from Microsoft. Try disabling error reporting to avoid that.

As for the tffsport.sys file, yes it is a Windows file. The system file checker as mentioned, or sfc, should do the trick.

Hey, thanks for the assist.

Two questions:
1. I kind of LKE the error reporting, and I'd rather know the problem is fixed than just shut that off...any other suggestions?
2. The last time I ran Scannow I was locked out of Windows b/c of it (had to transfer all my data to another HDD & reinstall Windows). As such, I'm more than a little hesitant to run that...Again, any other thoughts?

Thanks, both!

Phlegmbot

Edited by Phlegmbot, 16 May 2007 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey, guys...

I had a realization...

I've been using a Flashdrive. This is a new thing for me.

The day this started, I had enabled the Flashdrive, after having disabled it the day before. When I had done this, I received some kind of error message and didn't think anything of it -- the drive continued to work.

If you look at the error message (the JPG I placed in my post) above, it says something about "flash"...I think all of this is connected to that.

Thus, I think the device driver the blue screen is warning me about is connected to this Flashdrive and/or the USB port I'm plugging it into (the port's not given me trouble before).

Let me know how/if this changes things. And what advice you have.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Its probably referring to Flash and in Adobe Flash.

Try running sfc in safe mode if it freezes on you.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I may be mistaken but I think I remember where tffsport.sys comes from I belive it is the USB drivers. Basicly they need to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Have you ran the sfc /scannow I still recommend it. USB come preinstalled with windows so it is a windows driver.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Cilix: I already tried REMOVING Flash. That didn't help.

Tuxmaster: Okay, I will remove the USB drivers and reinstall them. Before I do: I assume I go to Hardware to remove the drivers, but can I get the newest drivers from Microsoft's site? Or do I get them off my WinXP disc?

And, no way, dude, I will NOT run Scannow -- not after what it did to me last time! (COMPLETELY locked me out of Windows.)

THANKS, both!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You should be able to get them though update.microsoft.com or though the XP disk.