Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP... Will it get phased out?

• Please log in to reply

Black_Knight_666

Black_Knight_666

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think XP will get phased out by the end of the year because Vista will probably realse SP1

Moved to Tech Discussion Forum

Edited by Fenor, 15 May 2007 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
XP is going to be the dominant operating System used both by consumers and companies for about the next two years. Just isn't feasible right now for companies to change operating systems. Costs too much and too many compatibility issues that companies can't run the risk of their legacy software not working properly. Home users won't adapt because people don't like change, and they especially don't like change with an added headache. Most users have enough trouble as it is using a computer that runs like it should without having to deal with all the problems that arise when you use a new operating system.

Fenor

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I think alot of casual XP users will not feel the need to upgrade right now, but just about all of the new laptops and desktops I see have Vista preinstalled. But alot of businesses I see are still running 98 and 2000 as there is really no need to upgrade as alot of software does not need anything better. Late last year I saw a rather large well known company still running a 286!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The best info that I've found says that win2k will be supported till 2010 and XP till 2014. What's more, while win98 isn't supported by Microsoft Updates, you can still get the updates from Microsoft's business support. There are still far too many businesses that have "mission critical" applications that run on these systems for MS to drop them like a hot rock.

Edited by Tyger, 16 May 2007 - 03:10 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Im definitely going to buy another copy of XP because I just want to have it around for anytime I want to use. Definitely going to keep it on my laptop. I think people are too used to it to get rid of it and same thing with businesses as well.