Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Access Point?

• Please log in to reply

ahaddad

ahaddad

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, we just recently finished our basement, and we currently have a wireless network, but now since the basement is finished, we like to spend time down there. One problem, weak internet connection. I was wondering how a wireless access point works, and if you need to be wired into the router that's connected to the modem. Please keep it simple, I'm sort of a n00b when it comes to computers in general. :whistling:

Advertisements

ahaddad

ahaddad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Awesome

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yes...for a wireless access point to work..you have to connect it to the router....this would solve your range problems though...all you'd need to do is run one single cable from your router to the AP and you'd have wireless access down in the basement

ahaddad

ahaddad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any way to do it wirelessly?

ahaddad

ahaddad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Or, if not, what wireless router would you recommend. I currently have a Linksys Speed Booster.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...theoretically there would be a way to do it wirelessly...but if your wireless laptop isn't getting a signal downstairs neither would a router or access point

ahaddad

ahaddad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, we have a portion of the basement that's directly under the wireless router, but where I am, is probably like 50 feet from there, so It's on the complete opposite side of the basement. My laptop gets internet down there, but my 360 barely connects, but doesn't have a strong enough connection to be able to play anything.