Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL "splitting" with a hub/router. Help !

• Please log in to reply

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I use a Speedstream 5260 DSL modem through SBC dsl carrier.

The dsl/ "phone" line plugs from the wall into the modem, and then the bigger, thicker cable runs from modem into the computer. I have to connect to the Net each time using SBC's software. So far, not a problem.

I have another computer now, and I'm trying to connect them both to get Net access at the same time. I have several routers that I can use, but nothing seems to work. One is a Netopia, and it has a bunch of ports for the big jacks, and one "dsl in" port for the little phone jack. I ran a cable from the modem to the router, and then two cables from the router to each computer.

The first computer got to the Net perfectly with DSL's connection software as usual. The second one gave me a "modem busy" error. Then i reveresed them, and same thing happened to the opposite computer. Whichever one connects first seems to tie up my modem.

Anyway, everyone tells me how easy it is to get two computers with Internet access from a single modem, but I can't figure it out. meanwhile, the IT guys at work come in and they set up 15 connections in like 1 minute, and I myself can't get 2 lousy connections right.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or any volunteers to walk me through this? Thanks so much

Advertisements