Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer & DMR

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I've been using a nifty little program called DropMyRights aka DMR, with no problem for about a year now. My PC has recently experienced a nervous breakdown and had to be taken to the shop for repair.

Now that I have it back I have a couple of things that have mysteriously stopped working. One is CWShredder, it won't do anything when I click on the "Fix" button.

The other thing is my Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers. I have two icons for each of those and I always use the icon that is set to open my browser with DMR whenever I go on the internet. Every since I got my PC back home from the shop neather one of those icons want to work.

Firefox wont do anything at all and IE immediately generates an error message saying that IE has encountered a problem and needs to close even though it never actually opens. I click the OK button and nothing else happens until I logoff or shut down my PC and I get an End Now notice saying that IE isn't responding for however many IE browsers I had tried to open and I click End Now. At no time does the screen requesting that I notify MS of the error ever pop up either.

It's almost like my PC is conspiring to make me use IE or Firefox without DMR because when I use the two icons that aren't using DMR I don't have any trouble.

I thought that maybe the DMR program had gotten corrupted when my system had crashed so I uninstalled it and downloaded it all over again... all to no avail.

Has anyone out there ever had this happen to them?

I know I've seen a post or two about DMR somewhere here on Geeks to Go but I have no Idea how to find them and I can't figure out how to get the search function on here to hunt them down for me. All I get is an error message when I try to do a search, so if anyone can tell me how to do that I'd be thankfull for that information too.

Thanks,
Wendy

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

Developed by Michael Howard, a Microsoft senior security program manager, it has been around since 2004; though Howard works for Microsoft, the company doesn't market the app. It works with any program, but before using it you need to make some quick changes. After installing it, you must create a shortcut for each program that you want to use with it (or you must modify the existing one). Howard provides full instructions with screen shots at his Microsoft Security Developer Center page.

If you click a Web link in another program, such as Word, your default browser will start normally, without DropMyRights protection (unless it is running with DropMyRights, too). To get the extra security, copy and paste the link after starting your browser via the specially prepared shortcut.

From here
Sounds like you need to recreate your shortcut icons one at a time.
Johanna

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Johanna,

Thanks for the reply. I've already done that several times over. I deleted my icons and uninstalled DMR, then I downloaded it and installed it all over again thinking it might have gotten corrupted when my PC had crashed.

I've done that several times too, all to no avail. I just did it again using the link that you provided and it still isn't working. I even tried using a different name for the folder that I installed it in to see if that would help but it didn't.

I could better understand it if it had just started affecting one of my icons but it knocked out all three of the ones that I used it on.

IE generates an instant error message when I click on its icon. Firefox doesn't do anything. Yahoo Messanger will open normally but I get the instant error message if I try to check my email from within messenger.

I've been using DMR with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Yahoo Messenger for quite some time now with no trouble so this has me wondering if something evil is conspiring against me.

Got any ideas?

Thanks,
Wendy