Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Keyboard Delay

• Please log in to reply

ex-bubblehead

ex-bubblehead

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
When entering text while composing or replying to messages in Outlook 2003, I now (within past few days) experience a lengthy keyboard lag. Lag time is based on the number of characters entered, e.g. one character = approx 1 sec; 30 characters = approx 10 seconds, and so on. Other MS Office 2003 applications work normally, no keyboard lag, no problem. Task manager shows OUTLOOK.EXE CPU usage going to, and remaining at, 50% during keyboard lag period. I have run Outlook 2003 for a year on this machine, no problem until the past few days.

The computer has been scanned for viruses, malware and adware. All results negative.

WinXP, 1GB RAM, 2.6 GHz processor.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi ex-bubblehead.

So the problem just cropped up a couple of days ago? Can you think of anything that might have happened with your system around that time? Did you install or update any software? Are you using an antivirus software that scans email?

You could try restoring your system to a day before the problem showed up. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time", then use the calendar to pick a date prior to the problem.

If that doesn't fix the problem, please post back with the answers to the above questions and we'll attack it from a different side.

ex-bubblehead

ex-bubblehead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well...

A little background. I am a technical instructor in a small office. It so happens that I know the most about computers in our office, therefore I am the de facto IT guy. I'm decent with Windows and most applications but suck at servers and networking. The computer currently in question is actually a computer of one of my co-workers. He happened to notice the problem last week (while I was out of the office).

"So the problem just cropped up a couple of days ago? Can you think of anything that might have happened with your system around that time? Did you install or update any software? Are you using an antivirus software that scans email?" I asked my co-worker about his system status and he did nothing unusual before the problem occurred (no installs, etc). We use Symantec corporate version for antivirus.

"You could try restoring your system to a day before the problem showed up. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time", then use the calendar to pick a date prior to the problem." I will suggest this to him (he's reasonably savvy) but he is stating at this time that he is not experiencing the problem...the worst kind of bug...non-repeatable.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi ex-bubblehead. Check out this other G2G Thread that deals with an Outlook keyboard lag problem. This may help your situation as well.