Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window Not Staying on Top

• Please log in to reply

Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't know the best way to describe this. I can't seem to keep the window I'm working in, on top and featured. At first, the only problem I was having was the browser or program I'd be working in would suddenly be pushed back. It wasn't that another open window or program would come forward, it was that the window or program I was working in would no longer be selected. I'd have to click back on it to start working it it again. Somewhat of a nuisance if you spend a lot of times on forums and type a lot. But I could live with it.

I don't know if this is related, but now, not only am I having the same window problems, but I'm having a terrible time switching windows. The majority of the time I can't do it. If I have something like Outlook open and another window, it resists being switched. I either have to click multiple times to bring the window I want forward, or I have to minimize the window that won't go away.

I can often get the window I want to come forward by right clicking on the tab below. But most of the time, as soon as I try to touch anything in the window or click it so I can get it to scroll, the other window pops right back up. You can imagine what a pain this is when your trying to make edits to your website. Switching between Dreamweaver and the preview window is a wrestling match and the wasted time adds up after a while.

Now, I'm not having any trouble with the tabs. They seem to be working just fine. Although I do get that same problem with the window being deselected if I try opening a new tab in the same window. And since I started having this problem with switching windows, it can again be a wrestling match just trying to get the lone window I have open to select so I can scroll or type in it.

Hopefully I've gotten my point across. It's an odd problem and I couldn't think of a relevant search term that would help me narrow it down. Any idea what's going on and if I can fix it?

EDIT: Looks like I forgot to put I'm working in Windows XP Service Pack 2 on an HP 64 Bit Dual Core in the subtitle.

EDIT 2: I guess I should also add that I did run every form of malware removal I have before posting this question, and I still have the same problem. The only things I have run yet are CCleaner and a full Virus Scan.

Edited by Digital Jedi, 16 May 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Something that could help while waiting for an Uber geek (or someone who's had this before)... if you have your windows CD go to START then RUN then type "SFC /scannow" no quotes and hit ENTER.

This is the windows System File Checker and it will detect and fix any corrupted windows files. If this is the cause of your issue this will fix it. If it isn't, this will still improve your machine's performance in other ways.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
please post your topic in the malware forum (a link in my signature). Take first all the
preliminary steps. After the experts from the malware forum confirm that the computer is clean,
and if the problem persists, post back in this forum. It might take some time because they are
quite busy there.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Always a good idea when confronted by unusual problems to do a full check for malware. In the mean time, you may want to get Tweak Ui and activate the "hover mouse" settings, including "autoraise." I don't know how I ever lived without it. Tweak UI: http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx Tweak UI is about half-way down the page on the right side. Other good stuff there too.