Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

Kirk59

Kirk59

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I boot into Windows I can access the Internet fine. After a short period of time Internet Explorer can't access the Internet. When I check my network connection the IP address is assigned correctly and I can renew it with no problems. I've turned off the firewall and I still can't connect. When I reboot I can again access the Internet for a short time and then lose the connection again. HELP!!!!

Advertisements

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I remember when this happened to me a few years ago.

It sounds to me like a bad network card, or motherboard.

Just to be on the safe side What kind of connection are you using?

Kirk59

Kirk59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
DSL. If it was the network card I don't think it would assign an IP address. Plus when I reboot it's OK for a short time before I lose the Internet.

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
It doesn't matter. If the card or motherboard are going bad it will do that for a week or two. Soon enough you won't get so much as a second from it.

How old is the computer?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
http://support.micro.....Ben-us;811259

Kirk59

Kirk59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The funny thing is the IP address will release and renew and it is being assigned by DHCP. I did a winsock repair but that didn't work. I finally found some remnants of Zone Alarm running in the background. I didn't discover them until after I started to uninstall Zone Alarm. I think those files were the culprit. IE would access sites for about five minutes and then all Internet sites were shut out. After uninstalling ZA all seems to be working well. Time will tell.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Mostlikely not the Network Card. I can tell you in all the network troubleshooting I have done I have rarly replaced a network card.

Here are some questions that I need you to answer.

Go to start > run > type in cmd and press enter.

Type ping localhost(notice the space in between ping and localhost)

Do you get a reply?

Type in ipconfig /all

Please Post the inforamtion it displays.

Are you running Wirelessly or wired?

Did you unplug your router for 5 minuites and plug it back in?

Kirk59

Kirk59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The connection is still good. Zone Alarm was the problem! Thanks to all who replied.