Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading ram on gateway laptop (vista)

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I have a gateway laptop.. mt3705
windows vista home basic
1024 MB DDR2 dual channel memory 533 MHz (2 × 512)
expandable to 2gigs

I really want to upgrade my ram. I called gateway support and they told me that if i have to upgrade, I HAVE to upgrade to 2 gigs, i.e. two 1 gig sticks. Is this right. Why cant i just buy a separate 1 gig stick and use 1 gig + 512mb?

They also said I MUST buy ram from them. Their 1 gig stick costs $126. If i do not buy the ram from them, i would void my one year warranty.

What are my options and do i need to buy ram from gateway???? I really do not care about that warranty because after one year, it will be worthless.

If i order ram from crucial.com, i am guessing everything should still work right? I really do not want to buy ram from gateway because that is obviously a ripoff. Any advice, any help, any suggestions?

Thank you

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You could only buy 1 stick of 1GB ram but you may encounter blue screens. It is highly advisable that you buy ram from the same manufacturer of your current ram. Is there anyway you could find out since I'm not aware of any programs that could view your hardware that is vista compatible. We need the manufactures name and model number if this isn't available.

It's up to you, sure your warranty will be worthless in a year, but right now it has a fair amount of value. If you order 2x1GB of ram from crucial you shouldn't have any problems but if you only get one stick then there is a 10% chance it may have compatibility issues with the other stick.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 May 2007 - 03:52 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i use belarc advisor and i use everest to view stuff about my specs. It did not say what type of ram specifically it uses. I will however buy it from crucial. What i really wanted to know was if it was going to work or not... im guessing it is going to work if u say i should buy both ram together... it will save me like 120 dollars... but thank you very much.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Buy two sticks of ram. Be sure that it's dual channel and that it's your motherboard supported speed. Also be sure it's notebook dimms not regular desktop. Does everest free edition really work on vista?
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 May 2007 - 06:36 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yup it does...even belarc and yea the ram is for laptops.. i made sure to do a scan on crucial to make sure i was gettin the recommended types and speed....illb voidind this warranty so i need to make sure id b getting stuff that is going to work

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I just want to add here that since you decided to choose this route, if you have any problems with the laptop we cannot be accountable because you have voided your warranty.
Hope the upgraded goes flawlessly and no problems occur. If you have any further questions feel free to ask them.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 May 2007 - 07:15 PM.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
oh yeah i know how these forums work.. its cool... i know that it is going to wrk, i dont really have any doubts about that... thank you for ur help tho... and i am solely accountable for anything that happens... i kno

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Now I have a questions for you :whistling:
Does everest work on vista?
James

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip