Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"svchost.exe" maxes out CPU

• Please log in to reply

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I withdraw my suggestion.

If the virus removal does not fix your issue PM me please to let me know, and I'll look into it then.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Rather than grab one patch it's better to go to Microsoft update and grab all the critical updates......

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
go to: start>run>cmd

type 'tasklist /svc' no quotes, space between 't' and '/' and hit enter

bring up task manager and click on 'view', then 'select colums' and check 'PID' and then 'ok'. This will add the PID colum to Task Manager. Click on CPU once or twice to bring the process using the most cpu to the top of the list. With the PID number check the list you brought up with 'tasklist /svc' and you'll find which process is using all of the cpu. Might be a virus might not be. Post back here with your results.

Edited by macten, 17 May 2007 - 07:20 PM.

steverino1997a

steverino1997a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK - here is the latest. I did download Avast and ZA on flash drive, then load on affected computer, and then run a scan. Came up clean. I then followed these instructions from:
http://ask-leo.com/h...ever_it_is.html

START PASTE FROM ABOVE REFERENCED WEB SITE "Here's a step by step we used, that uses some of the above info:

1 - Stop Windows automatic updates service, and disable the service. (100% cpu should drop.)

2 - Install hotfix patch for XP pro:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

3 - After patch install and before restart, change automatic updates service, back to automatic.

4 - Restart computer.

5 - After restart, login and copy the text below in to a new notepad document and save it as: reset.cmd

(Double click on the file to run it.)

net stop "Automatic Updates"
del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
net start "Automatic Updates"
wuauclt.exe /detectnow

5a - What does it do?
The file stops the Automatic Update service, then flushes out the contents of the folder "Software Distribution". It then restarts the Automatic Update service again before forcing an update cycle to start.

6 - Run windows update from explorer, to verify it works, and cpu stays at normal levels. *Important*

Should be good to go now, CPU will be "normal". END PASTE FROM ASK LEO WEB SITE

I did get through step 4 and everything is fine until I turn automatic updates back on. Then same problem starts. Even after the patch. Could this be due to step 5? I don't understand the whole command thing and how to get it to run from notepad? Also, if I try to download updates manually with "automatic updates" turned off, we again max out at 100% and can't do anything with the machine other than shut off manually.

The Microsoft page I accessed the patch from is: http://support.micro....com/kb/927891/

Now with aut updates turned off, everything works great. But I don't want to avoid updates any longer than necessary.

Again, maybe step 5 from Ask Leo is the answer, but I don't understand how to do what the step is suggesting.

Thanks,

steverino1997a

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Interesting how that Leo guy initially says: 'you probably have a virus' and as you read further he (in so many words) says: you probably don't have a virus. At least you know you have a clean system.

I'll try that step 5 on my laptop and post back....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just tried that step 5 and didn't have any issues so go ahead and try it.

open Notepad
copy and paste the text
use 'save as' (remember where you saved it. I saved it in 'my documents'. Also in the drop down box select 'all files')
go to my documents (or where you save it) and double click on the file
you should see a DOS window open and a lot of text scroll by. Then the window closes.

I'm not saying that this will fix the problem but it's one solution that seems to work for some people. Interesting how he says you have to call Microsoft for 'the fix'? They can't even publish it? .....lol

steverino1997a

steverino1997a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Success! Thanks to all for the help! I just pasted in the text as noted below, and ran it as instructed. After this completed, Windows Update immediately started downloading and installing updates. There were only 3, so didn't take too long. I also tried checking for updates manually and everything worked fine. And watching my Task Manager, my CPU usage is nice and low where it usually is.

Thanks again!

Steve

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Glad it worked out. I'm going to make a hard copy of this fix and keep it in my tool box...