Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Outlook 2000 Tasks not closing

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Within the past week or two, when I shut down MS Outlook, the tasks remain open, which I found out means that Outlook is still running in the background, although it doesn't show up in the Task Manager. It appears to me that even though I close Outlook on the Taskbar, it is not shutting down. Typically, when I close Outlook, any Tasks whether overdue or not, will also close.

Now I either have to close the Tasks individually, or shut down the computer. I have tried running Detect and Repair but it doesn't fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. When I reboot and then start Outlook, it takes several minutes for it to open. It used to open very quickly.

P.S.S. It has been suggested to me that my Personal Folders may be too large and this could be causing the problem. Apparently, if you have more than 1GB of info in the Personal Folders, it can slow down your computer and maybe cause the problem I am having. I am going to archive the majority of what's in this folder and see if that helps.

Edited by highland403, 19 May 2007 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

foot

foot

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Are you using office 2000? If so there is a tool built in which can possibly repair pst's that are corrupted.I see this a lot at work. The best thing to do as you said is to reduce the size. If that doesn't work do a search for -scan.pst. Run the repair and see if that helps. A lot of our people at work here don't pay attention to the size and the next thing you know outlook locks up but usually they're fine until they reach 1.8 or 1.9 gigs. If that doesn't work your profile might be corrupted.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Yes, I am using Office 2000. I have tried reducing the size of the personal folder by archiving one of the folders. The main reason I never wanted to archive is because I need to be able to access these older emails from time to time and I was afraid I would not be able to retrieve these files very easily.

So this is the first time I have archived anything. As I said I have only archived one folder which was fairly large and now I can't access those emails. I followed Help's directions under "Import archived files into their original folders" but so far I have not figured out how to retrieve this file.

I also ran a scan for -scan.pst and scan.pst as you suggested but those files don't exist.

I think reducing the size of the personal folder will solve the problem. But before I do any more archiving, I need to know how to get the archived files back. Can you tell me how to do that?

Thanks

foot

foot

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok. Let's try this. Go to file , then open.Pick the file to open which would be your archive folder. If that doesn't work create another folder then import the files into there. They won't be in their original folder but if it works at least you will have them. Also ,sorry but I gave you the wrong file to search for. The name of the file should have been scanpst.exe . It is located under program files/common files/ system/ msmapi /1033/ scanpst.exe . You should at least run this scan if nothing else. I see a lot of corrupted files on the job and this actually works over half the time. If this doesn't work then you might be looking at a corrupted profile.

Jimmy27

Jimmy27

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I found the scanpst.exe file but I cannot find any of the *.pst files - I did a search in explorer and no luck - I obviously have these since I have an inbox but where is the inbox located? and why cant' I find the files doing a search?

foot

foot

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
In the search I usually type in *.pst . Not 100% sure why but that's how I was taught. However , usually the pst files are usually located in a folder under c drive called exchange as that's where I usually put them when I set them up. oops waita second. On the left side under folder structure you should see an inbox under mailbox and then another under personal folders. The personal folders are showing aren't they? I just need to be sure of something before continuing. It's odd they didn't show up during the search. wWe might have to modify the search.

Edited by foot, 06 June 2007 - 09:56 AM.

Jimmy27

Jimmy27

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I could not find the files cuz they were hidden. Anyway, I ran the utility and it said the files were ok. I just gave up, deleted Outlook and went to the web based e-mail. My core 2 duo 6600 core was using 50% resources on both processors just to open a file in addition to the 10 second lag. Do u think Outlook 2000 was just too outdated? I installed all the MS patches with no luck.

Thx for your input anyway!

foot

foot

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I wouldn't think so.We still use office 2000 here and I have installed it on new pc's with that type processor and had no problem .