Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wanting to find right components

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Go with the gigabyte version, the only reason why I did that is because I was cutting corners to stay on budget, but you already had a bunch of stuff that I listed in my previous post.

Advertisements

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sounds good! And also, just for the sake of double checking, you think the power supply will fit fine?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm worried that it won't but I have never worked with mATX, can you tell me the dimensions of your PSU.
As in LxWxH.
James

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ummm....from my measurements lol...

L - ~ 5 inch
W - ~ 6.5 inch
H ~ 3 inch

I say ~ because i measured it when it was inside the case, so it might be off by point an inch or so.

Here's everything it says on the PSU if it helps any:

Optimax Titan Power
Model: ATX-450PS

DC - Output, +3.3V, +5V, +12V, -5V, -12V, +5Vsb
MAX 28A, 35A, 22A, 0.5A, 1A 2A

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I've been looking around because like I said I have never touched a mATX build, but those mesurements are the same as my ATX case, not to mention the ATX in the model number. The size of your PSU is the same as mine so it should work.
James

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Could it be that my case can accommodate both mATX and normal ATX form factors? Is that possible for a case to do?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes it is, but I have no way of finding this out. Do you have the manual for the case or box to find instrucitons? I think I was going crazt I don't think there is a mATX PSU.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 May 2007 - 11:03 AM.

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I don't have any manuals or anything for it, but i searched online for it and this is what I found. It's basically the exact same, except mine has a blue transformer glowey head guy and not a red one.

http://www.atruerevi...ormer/index.php

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Well that says it's ATX not mATX, it doesn't even mention it supporting mATX, are you sure you have a mATX motherboard in there? I'd suggest getting a ATX board since it appears thats what you case supports and they are generally better when compared to a mATX board.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I could be wrong on this but this how I always understood it. mATX will fit in any ATX case. ATX cases uses ATX standard PSU. There are certain mATX boxes that only fit a mATX board. These are typically off shape and not standard mid-tower cases. Example: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133036. So basically any case that will fit an ATX board will fit a mATX but it doesn't always go the other way around.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 May 2007 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah I think your right, like I said I have never used a mATX build. I'd go for a ATX setup, more room for upgrades and things generally have slight gains over mATX.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 May 2007 - 07:57 PM.

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hmmm. The mATX motherboard seems to look fine. As long as I can upgrade the CPU, RAM, and video card at a later time, i am happy. The mATX board in my current computer looks like it fits fine. Leaves some room around the case for cables. Unless you have some suggestions for a good ATX that's cheaper then the current mATX :whistling: lol.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Whatever you like.

But the next time you upgrade your CPU you'll likely have to get a new motherboard, it's not the greatest time to be upgrading. October would be a good time if your going the AMD route. The new line of CPU's will require AM2+ or AM3. All motherboards currently available are AM2 or Socket 939.
James

unstablefears

unstablefears

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well, I am assuming that anything new that is coming out this year, will be fairly pricey. I probably wouldn't upgrade to anything seriously to of the line until the prices go down.

Question about the current mATX motherboard though. How do I connect my CD/DVD drive if there is only 1 IDE connector on the motherboard? ( which would be used by my harddrives ).

Edited by unstablefears, 21 May 2007 - 11:05 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
MOBOs have been coming with only one IDE spot recently because of SATA drives. They are faster, cheaper, and don't have big ribbons that reduce the air flow through your case. You can have a HDD and a CD drive on the same IDE cable as long as the HDD is set to master and on the master connector of the cable.

I highly recommend a SATA HDD though.