Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling Programs starting up with Windows?

• Please log in to reply

Angelboi

Angelboi

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Where was that program to decide what program starts up when windows starts up?

I currently have far too many and if i don't close them fast enough it causes my computer reboot automatically.

Advertisements

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
StartRight

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The automatic rebooting is likely caused by a defective driver or application, not so much the number of them

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, excluding the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes you can untick the programmes you do not use often, click apply, confirm then reboot. Tick do not start the configuration utility when Windows gets to the desktop

For the purpose of finding the problem application or driver, untick a couple then restart until Windows loads without rebooting

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Is there any quick way to resolve this? I disabled all and it finally stopped rebooting.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you only use disable all, or do them in pairs?

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I only used Disable all. I don't have time to test each one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The important ones are the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes so check they are ticked, click apply for any changes you make

You can then leave the PC to boot with most of the programmes disabled at start up, or just enable a couple more a day until it returns to restarting instead of loading to the desktop

Angelboi

Angelboi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Okay thanks.