Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PQI RAM - Good? Asus P5B v P5B Deluxe

• Please log in to reply

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm planning to build a new system (this will be the first time). I'm based in Tokyo, where it gets hot and humid in the summer. Currently the parts parts I'm looking at:

Case: Antec P150
MoBO: P5B Deluxe or p5B
RAM: Corsair Twin2x2048-6400 (XMS2)
HDD: Samsung HD321KJ (SATA)
Video: Asus EN8500GT Silent HTD/256M (Passive)
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600
DVD Drive: Asus DRW-1814BLT (SATA)

I'm trying to build a quiet system but I'm on a budget. The system is mainly for design stuff (photoshop, quark), office functions, music and to a limited extent games.

I know Corsair RAM comes highly recommended but I have come across a couple of alternatives that work out significantly cheaper.

PQI ddr2-800 1gb cl5 240pin (QD2800-1GB) x 2
Transcend JetRam DDR2-800 Dual Channel Kit (PC2-6400/1GB x 2)

Has anyone any experience with these. Someone said to me that PQI has got some very good reviews, but I haven't managed to find any. Is it any good?

Also I'm trying to decide between the P5B and P5B Deluxe motherboards. I heard that the cooling, RAID, and sound on the P5B deluxe is better. And also it has firewire, which is useful for me but not essential. I'm not planning a RAID set-up at the mo, but not sure about the future. I have no plans to overclock, as I"m not a big gamer so I'm not sure how much benefit there is for me doing this - any advice in that respect is also appreciated.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You won't need the p5b deluxe unless you were to overclock. Most of the people around here have been advising against Asus boards recently. Apparently they have been having a higher rate of DOA in comparsion to other big companies. I usually suggest Gigabyte boards and James usually recommends Evga.

I have never heard of those brands of RAM. I always find it's best to stick with what you know is good to keep from kicking yourself in the [bleep] later if it dies. Corsair tends to be the cheapest of what I know to be quality RAM. Also if you don't plan to overclock you will be fine with DDR2 667 RAM.

I don't have much experience with RAID setups other than what I have read on here. I think that RAID will need to be set up before the Windows installation. But again, this is a grey area for me and I'm sure someone else will be able to explain that better. To me it seems like more trouble then it is worth.

Also I have not read anything about passive cooling on GPUs but if you don't play graphic intensive games I doubt there will be any issues. The mainstream version the geforce 8 series fell short of expectations so you may want to wait until ATI releases their mainstream DX10 model.

The PSU that comes with that case is a quality one but may not be enough power. I'm not sure on the 8500 but I think that is recommended to have atleast 500w for the 8800.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 May 2007 - 01:41 PM.