Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Desktop, No Icons, explorer.exe iexplore.exe crashing (no errors)

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It is going to take me a while to get to this?

If you could please be paitent I will go ahead and take a look at your event viewer tonight?

Do you know if you installed any Microsoft Updates.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go Ahead and give this a try.

Download This regestry Fix and run it see if it fixes the issue.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
click start then run an type this as is....rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf this should repair your internet explorer

Edited by krmooo, 19 May 2007 - 08:58 PM.

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Go Ahead and give this a try.

Download This regestry Fix and run it see if it fixes the issue.

Hello Tux,
The registry fix didn't work. For reference, I had previously tried to run TaskbarRepairToolPlus!.exe from kellie-korner, but it failes to run.

I now have IE working after running the fix "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf" It failed finding all of the files, but afterwards IE opened and I can now browse Websites. WAHOO!

Would you like me to start updating Windows with Patches?

Thanks!

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons

Hello Krmooo,
Thanks for the IE fix, I ran it, but it failed to find the files for XP SP2, however, I just cancelled through the install and then IE worked afterwards.

With regards to the icons missing, it is not that they have been moved off the screen. Explorer.exe is not running, each time I run it, my start Menu appears for 1 second and then disappears. As it is now, if I right click on the desktop there is no popup menus.

Thanks for your Help!

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ok I took a look at your event Viewer.

Lets just shure hope Mom is not too upset about not having her computer for a while.

The Following Hotfixes were install on 05-09-07

From what it looks Like you started having this problem on 051607 at about 4:32PM I can tell this becouse you started shutting down your computer though task manager about that time.

Try pressing CTRL+ESC see what happens.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lets also create a new user for diagnostic perposes using the new task option type in control userpasswords2.

Click add to create a new user.

Does the issue persist in the new user account?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I believe I May have found another Possible Fix.

This is from MS KB 256194

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
2. On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
3. Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. If necessary, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
5. Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old.
6. Restart the computer.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok so what icons are missing? we can repair them all 1 by 1 tedious on here but it can be done:)

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
lets try this press alt ctrl delete an bring up your task manager. click on file select new task run. when the new task dialog box opens type in explorer an click ok. :whistling: and lets hope its that simple

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

lets try this press alt ctrl delete an bring up your task manager. click on file select new task run. when the new task dialog box opens type in explorer an click ok. :whistling: and lets hope its that simple

Hello Mrmooo,
I apprecate your help very much! However, I am not sure you read through the entire thread. Currently, if I run explorer.exe in New Task, it opens for a fraction of a second and closes. This is my problem. Without explorer.exe there are not icons, no Start Menu, no popup menus.

Thanks

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Tux,
After creating a new users I still have the same problem.

I was acutally aware of the Win2000 issue, however, I didn't appempt it, until you just mentioned it, however, I have no shdovw.dll file (spelling) on my windows directory.

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try replacing the explorer file and see if that helps the problem. Download the attached zip file and save it to "My Documents" using Task Manager/New Task and typing my documents in the run field...the My Documents folder should open. Right click on the file and choose "Extract All"...extract it to your My Documents folder. Right click on the extracted explorer.exe file and choose "Copy".

Now navigate to C:\Windows using Task Manager/New Task and typing c:\windows in the run field, click "Ok", and rename your current explorer.exe to explorer.old. Right click a blank area and choose "Paste". Once you see that the copy/paste is complete, bring up the Task Manager/New Task again, and type explorer.exe in the run field...click "Ok".

Does explorer open and stay open?

Attached File  explorer.zip   397.57KB   78 downloads

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Wannabe1,
No using the explorer.exe which you sent doesn't have any affect. :whistling:

Thanks

Edited by byrddogg77, 20 May 2007 - 06:12 PM.