Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop, No Icons, explorer.exe iexplore.exe crashing (no errors)

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Modified instructions for windows XP.

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
2. On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
3. Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. type cd \windows\system32 folder.
5. Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old.
6. Restart the computer.

Upon Restart windows should replace the file by itself. See if that helps.

shdocvw.dll is a library used by Windows applications to add basic file and networking operations.

edit added statement: Reason why I am trying to hard and not suggesting a OSRI at this moment is because it should not be necessary. That and this problem has been bugging me and I want to find the answer.

Edited by tuxmaster, 20 May 2007 - 06:38 PM.

Advertisements

Leon Alheon

Leon Alheon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

lets try this press alt ctrl delete an bring up your task manager. click on file select new task run. when the new task dialog box opens type in explorer an click ok. :whistling: and lets hope its that simple

Hello Mrmooo,
I apprecate your help very much! However, I am not sure you read through the entire thread. Currently, if I run explorer.exe in New Task, it opens for a fraction of a second and closes. This is my problem. Without explorer.exe there are not icons, no Start Menu, no popup menus.

Thanks

Hi People...I use this for quote 'cause I have a same problem this morning ...: "it's opens for a fraction of a second and closes". THE SAME THING., on Windows Media Center 2005, with updates...I moved KB931768 'cause this hotfix slowing my IE surfing. I cheking this from Vista on another partion with NOD 32, and NOD founded a Trojan ABC or something like that, but I'm not sure that this can be a reason. I'll try this option with SFC /scannow, because I didn't know how to start this before without Run option.

Leon Alheon

Leon Alheon

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Let's try replacing the explorer file and see if that helps the problem. Download the attached zip file and save it to "My Documents" using Task Manager/New Task and typing my documents in the run field...the My Documents folder should open. Right click on the file and choose "Extract All"...extract it to your My Documents folder. Right click on the extracted explorer.exe file and choose "Copy".

Now navigate to C:\Windows using Task Manager/New Task and typing c:\windows in the run field, click "Ok", and rename your current explorer.exe to explorer.old. Right click a blank area and choose "Paste". Once you see that the copy/paste is complete, bring up the Task Manager/New Task again, and type explorer.exe in the run field...click "Ok".

Does explorer open and stay open?

I already copied explorer.exe from XP SP2 to WMC 2005, but nothin' happend.
I tried restore points three times, but nothing happen too.

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello Leon,
Please don't hijack other peoples threads. Please start your own.

Tux & Wannabe1,
Thank you for all of the support, I believe I just came across the solution to my specific problem but other may want to try this.

I opened Add/Remove Programs, by running "appwiz.cpl" and I uninstalled Google Desktop search and then launched explorer.exe and it open and stayed running.

Prior to this I had also Booted into Windows Recovery console and ran a "chkdsk /r" which checks the disk for bad blocks, it did find some, so I reran "chkdsk /p". Which fixed the disk errors. It is important to run "chkdsk /r" first to make sure it doesn't say there are unrecoverable errors on the disk, if this happends usually indicates you may need to buy a new disk drive, otherwise you can fix the errors by running "chkdsk /p". It runs for about 25 minutes, please be patient, even the progress will show 75% then 50% then 60% then 50%, which is confusing, just wait longer. :whistling:

After I ran a chkdsk command I put my Windows Recovery Disk into the disk drive and booted to it, to perform a Windows Recovery Installation. After this, is when I finally uninstalled Google Desktop and then ran "explorer.exe" everything worked.

I hope this is helpful to other. Please read the rest of the post for all of the previous steps I took to fix this issue, as a combination of some of these steps may have been the true solution.

Have a Great Day!

Leon Alheon

Leon Alheon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't speak english well, byrddog77, so I didn't won't to write a same problem, so I simple hijack how you said, 'cause the problem is identical. And I tryed all what I found here but, NOTHING. I 'll try this what you said...
so I try with Vundo Fix and all problems resolved:)))))))))

This will be donate:)

problem are in : khfdawt.dll and jkkjk.dll in booting process. Vundo Fix resolve and now everything is OK.

Edited by Leon Alheon, 23 May 2007 - 06:38 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

'cause the problem is identical.

Even though the problem itself may be identical the reason behind the problem may not be so we as that you do not post in somone elces thread if you have a issue if what they preformed did not resolve it then start your own thread.

byrddogg77 thanks for the info on what you did to get it to work. After the repair install did it imedeatly work. Or was it after you uninstalled google desktop. If google desktop is the think that caused the issue I would like to know.

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

'cause the problem is identical.

Even though the problem itself may be identical the reason behind the problem may not be so we as that you do not post in somone elces thread if you have a issue if what they preformed did not resolve it then start your own thread.

byrddogg77 thanks for the info on what you did to get it to work. After the repair install did it imedeatly work. Or was it after you uninstalled google desktop. If google desktop is the think that caused the issue I would like to know.

After performing the Repair install of Windows, I still had the same problem, explorer.exe would open for 1 second and then close. Immediately after the uninstall of Google Desktop, without a reboot, I was able to launch explorer.exe and it stayed running.

One additional note, after the last Windows repair I lost internet access ipconfig /renew would not work, downloaded (from another PC and burned) the drivers for my onboard network adapter and reinstalled. Still no internet. I had to run the WinSockfix.exe to resolve the issue.

I am also reinstalling Office, XP SP2, and all windows updates, my Operating System has seen better days. :whistling:

Thanks again for your help Tux!

Edited by byrddogg77, 23 May 2007 - 07:43 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
HUM good to know but that should have been disabled when we disabled everything in msconfig.

byrddogg77

byrddogg77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

HUM good to know but that should have been disabled when we disabled everything in msconfig.

Yeah one would think, but it must have some additional hooks into things. (I assure you I disabled all processing msconfig, and even booted in diagnostic mode and Safe mode, none of these things helped) Strange... Freaking Google Desktop :whistling: