Please don't hijack other peoples threads. Please start your own.
Tux & Wannabe1,
Thank you for all of the support, I believe I just came across the solution to my specific problem but other may want to try this.
I opened Add/Remove Programs, by running "appwiz.cpl" and I uninstalled Google Desktop search and then launched explorer.exe and it open and stayed running.
Prior to this I had also Booted into Windows Recovery console and ran a "chkdsk /r" which checks the disk for bad blocks, it did find some, so I reran "chkdsk /p". Which fixed the disk errors. It is important to run "chkdsk /r" first to make sure it doesn't say there are unrecoverable errors on the disk, if this happends usually indicates you may need to buy a new disk drive, otherwise you can fix the errors by running "chkdsk /p". It runs for about 25 minutes, please be patient, even the progress will show 75% then 50% then 60% then 50%, which is confusing, just wait longer.
After I ran a chkdsk command I put my Windows Recovery Disk into the disk drive and booted to it, to perform a Windows Recovery Installation. After this, is when I finally uninstalled Google Desktop and then ran "explorer.exe" everything worked.
I hope this is helpful to other. Please read the rest of the post for all of the previous steps I took to fix this issue, as a combination of some of these steps may have been the true solution.
Have a Great Day!