Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA connection with SATA II drive

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am looking to add a second HD to my PC and I was looking at a SATA II drive but I am not sure if it will work with a SATA connection, will it? I am pretty sure that my SATA connection in my PC is an SATA 1 not a II but am unsure sure. I assume it is since my PC is about 3 years old.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless i'm completely wrong...SATAII drives are backward compatable with SATAI...the only difference between the two seems to be data transfer speeds....so the SATAII will just run at the same transfer rate as a SATAI drive

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
some hard drives have a jumper that allow the drive to run like SATA 1..does your drive have jumpers on the back...check the documention that came with the drive...

Edited by happyrck, 20 May 2007 - 08:17 AM.

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I dont have a drive just yet. I am looking to buy one but I didnt want to get something that wouldn't work for my PC.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I havn't seen a SATA1 drive for a while, if they aren't backwards compatible it'd be dumb, though companies are known to do similar things.....Anyways from what I know its backwards compatible, it'll just run at a lower speed.
James

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks alot everyone