Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New RAM

• Please log in to reply

travman

travman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok this is my first post on this site, so I hope I don;t break any rules, or cause a lot of confusion.

I recently bought some new RAM for my computer. (2 sticks of 256MB PC100 DIMM)

When I install it acts strange. If I install both sticks my computer wont start. ( I get a message screen that says my computer did not start correctly...I have options....safe mode....safe mode with command prompt.....start normally) No matter which one I try, it sends me back to this same screen.

If I only install 1 stick, it starts up fine....or if I install 1 256MB, and my old 128MB, it also works fine.

Why wont it work when both sticks are installed????

P.S. My computer can handle 512MB (256MB in each slot)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my inclination is mismatched ram, though I am sure that you bought the same ram.

Even though that is the case, memory is a finicky beast.

You may try turning the memory timing settings in bios down to a normal setting, if they are set to turbo or fast, but mostly I would say exchange the ram.

You may be able to test the ram one stick at a time using memtest86+ (google it), but as good as that is at testing, I still find it does not catch everything

travman

travman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It turned out to be a HP thing. I needed to download an update for my BIOS. The update allowed my computer to recognize a full 512 MB RAM. All is working fine now. Thanks for the help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thanks for the update...must be a pretty old machine