Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERVER NOT FOUND error in Firefox....

• Please log in to reply

not_again3x

not_again3x

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
The other day, I powered my laptop on, and tried opening up firefox. I kept getting "Server not found", so I waited a minute, thinking I wasnt connected to the network yet, and tried again. I was connected to the network, at full strength like usual, but could not access Firefox or IE.

This happened before, and I think I just changed a setting on either IE options or Firefox settings, and it worked, but I cant figure it out. I checked my Zonealarm firewall, and both IE and Firefox are given permission to access the internet. Its been like this for 3 days now, and I cant figure it out......PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

Command to reset, flush or clear your DNS cache.

XP remembers negative (DNS unable to resolve) entries for a few minutes. Often this can be a pain when moving and debugging sites. As long as that negative entry sits in your DNS cache, your box will continue to give you a cannot find server error. By cleaning out your DNS cache, you can fix this problem.

click on start...type in cmd...click on OK or press enter...then type in ..ipconfig /flushdns...then type in exit...a reboot may be necessary..

Edited by happyrck, 18 May 2007 - 08:04 AM.

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

try this...

Command to reset, flush or clear your DNS cache.

XP remembers negative (DNS unable to resolve) entries for a few minutes. Often this can be a pain when moving and debugging sites. As long as that negative entry sits in your DNS cache, your box will continue to give you a cannot find server error. By cleaning out your DNS cache, you can fix this problem.

click on start...type in cmd...click on OK or press enter...then type in ..ipconfig /flushdns...then type in exit...a reboot may be necessary..

so click on "Run" after "start", correct? And then after "ipconfig/flushdns", I hit enter and then type exit? I will try when I go home for lunch and let you know...thanks alot

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there has to be a space between ipconfig and the /

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
oh, cause I just went home and tried it, not using the space, but it did say that "DNS was successfully flushed", or something like that.....i rebooted, and it still isnt getting an internet connection, even though its connected to my network

should I try it again with the space? or did it work right the first time and theres just something else wrong?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click start...run...type in cmd press enter..
now type in ...ping 216.109.112.135 press enter..thats yahoo's address...
if it times out your not getting to the internet..
if it gets the packets returned you are connected to the internet

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

there has to be a space between ipconfig and the /

did it this way, and it works!.....thanks again. You guys are the best

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
glad you got it working.. :whistling:

Classic Rob

Classic Rob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a similar problem but flushing the dns did not work for me.
I am getting packets back when I ping yahoo but my firefox and IE cannot find server.
I also attempted to connect iTunes store and my avg updater to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is your firewall blocking you...what firewall do you use...can you go to any sites at all...what browser do you use
did you reboot after flushing dns...

Edited by happyrck, 01 June 2007 - 11:56 AM.

Classic Rob

Classic Rob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have ZoneAlarmPro and like the original poster I made sure it was allowing a connection to all the affected programs.
My browser is firefox

Classic Rob

Classic Rob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i also shut down my zonealarm as well as my ad-watch from adaware. i also fhut down avg for good measure. Nothing unblocked the connection

I did reboot after flushing dns cache and still nothing

It should also be noted that my laptop using the same router as the problematic pc is connecting fine.

Edited by Classic Rob, 01 June 2007 - 12:15 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is it the laptop or desktop thats having the problem..if its the laptop can you connect wired and get to the sites..

Classic Rob

Classic Rob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
laptop works fine. PC is not connecting.

Classic Rob

Classic Rob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I got it up and working.
Thanks for your time.

I reset the network socket by going to
run
command
and typing
net sock reset - enter
exit - enter