Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD announces new processor range

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Developed by ATI Technologies, which AMD acquired at the end of last year, the new HD 2000 series comprises 10 different processors that support Microsofts DirectX 10.

AMD is boasting numerous industry-firsts with the HD 2000 chips, including a Unified Shader Architecture, a 512MB memory bus for high dynamic range rendering and a Unified Video Decoder technology for high-definition (HD) video playback.

The midrange processors are the first to be built using a 65 nanometre process, which AMD said will result in cards that offer near-silent running, have passive cooling, higher performance and lower power consumption. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2000 series, for instance, will allow notebook users to view an entire HD DVD or Blu-ray disc on a single battery.

http://uk.news.yahoo...-r-6315470.html

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The best thing about this is that it removes the load from the CPU when HD encoding which is a large plus.
Since they are currently running at 90oC under load and are 80nm I can't see switching to 65nm making a huge difference. It'll for sure have it's advantages like lower power consumption thus lower temps but we won't be seeing passive cooling on the HD2900XT any time soon if someone is thinking this. This news is great for laptop users.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 May 2007 - 09:33 AM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
ahh man

i kinda liked using my laptop as a furnace! :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The HD2900XT would never go into a laptop. I was refering to the fact of the mobile graphics devision going to 65nm. Currently the HD2900XT is 80nm and I'm thinking there will be a fair sized drop in power requirements resulting in better performance with longer battery life.

A extra furnace never hurt in the winter, keeps your legs warm on those cool nights :whistling:

James

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 08:34 PM.