Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stats but completely black

• Please log in to reply

wombo

wombo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright, so I've searched around the forums and couldn't find anything quite similar to the situation I'm currently in.

Last night after coming home from work, I tried turning on my computer but it wouldn't turn on. So I waited a while, kept trying and it eventually turned on.

Today while using my desktop, the screen just suddenly altered and the graphics was all disoriented. It flickered, wen't back to normal, flickered like another 5 times, and it just froze, with messed up graphics on the monitor. I tried restarting it and I was not able to get windows to load successfully. The Windows XP logo shows up but it just turns black. So I reboot and go into safe mode and that worked perfectly fine. I decided to restart the computer again, walked off for a drink and came back to see nothing but a black screen on my computer. Since then, I have not been able to boot up my computer to load windows. Actually nothing shows up on my monitor when i start the computer, no checks or anything. When I start up the computer, there are several beeps and the screen stays black. I've tried pressing F8 and esc, but nothing seems to show up on my screen, just black. I know the computer is running since the fan is pretty loud. Also the light on my power button in the front just blinks, where as it usually stays solid when the computer is running.

Thanks for reading and I'd really appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
To analyze what the beeps mean please go here.

Please tell us what you find so we may further help you.

wombo

wombo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe there is 1 long beep and 2 short beeps following that, though I'm not sure which chart to follow.

Thanks.

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
No problem... I should have thought of that before I gave you the link... Do you know anything about your motherboard? Brand-name maybe? Then I could help you find out which one you have...

Just look for any text that stands out on the board its-self.

Edited by Wlkingman, 18 May 2007 - 11:12 AM.

wombo

wombo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My motherboard is a Gigabyte K7 Triton 400 AGP8X/FSB333

At least that's what it says on the box.

Edited by wombo, 18 May 2007 - 11:28 AM.

wombo

wombo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I've looked at the inside of my computer and found a little chip that says PheonixBios

Hope that helps

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
It does indeed! Good catch! The only problem I see is that the beeps you described don't add up. There should be 3 sets of beeps. ex: beeps 3 times, pause, beeps one time, pause, beeps 2 times.

wombo

wombo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay I decided to record the sound through my phone so you can hear it

The sound is actually very terrible, but it beeps for 1 second then it beeps another twice very quickly

http://smg.photobuck...nt=MOV00009.flv

I'll keept listenin to the beeps and see what i can make of it

wombo

wombo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I made a better sounding one, might be a bit better

http://smg.photobuck...nt=MOV00011.flv

like before the beep goes on for a second, then 2 shorter beeps

wombo

wombo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I've found more information regarding my situation

"Currently the only beep code indicates a video error has occured and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps."

That description seems to fit the problem I'm having right now..

Wlkingman

Wlkingman

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry it took me a while to reply. I was doing some work around the house.

It sounds like you've figured out the rest on your own... Make sure you're graphics card is in all of the way. If that doesn't help then you're going to have to get a new one.