Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Filling Multiple Form Fields By Entering One Field

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Am new to MS WORD Forms. Have searched here (and on GOOGLE) but not sure used the right words.

Problem: Setting up form that has users 'name' in several fields .... would like to enter name once (in 1st of several fields) and have it 'automatically' put in the other 'name' fields.

Would defining a macro (that runs on 'exit' from the first name field then fills in other name fields) work?

Advertisements

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

Yes I believe you are correct as to how to solve your problem.

Just to make sure you achieve what you want, I have created a quick Word file to demonstrate the macro code.

Chris

Attached:
Attached File  GeeksToGo_Copy_textbox_contents.doc   28.5KB   39 downloads

(Note any mod: I haven't managed to familiarise myself with the attachment rules on GeeksToGo, so please accept an advanced apology if the attachment breaks any rules or such.)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi 911pchelp!

A macro may do it.

As an alternative, I think an ASK field would do what you want, but it really depends on the who the "End User" is for this form. An ASK field stores input in a bookmark. A REF field displays the ASK bookmark. So you can ASK for User Name, then insert a REF field that displays the User Name bookmark in as many places in the document as you want.

Do you intend to use FORM fields and lock down your form? If so, getting the ASK field updated will be a bit tricky.

I've created a very simple form that uses an ASK field for "Applicant Name", REF fields to display the ASK field bookmark in two places, and FORM fields for "Address" and "Ownership Type".

I've uploaded the Word document at http://lindagail.gee...om/formtest.doc and an example showing the form with and without the Field Codes at http://lindagail.gee...om/wordform.png.

If this is anywhere near what you need, please post back and I can answer more specific questions.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
LindaGail - thank you so much for the update .... the response and the extra work (exampler & upload).

Actually I was asking on behalf of my son (a social worker at LFS - Lutheran Family Services - working with official gov refugees) and he said he really appreciates what you've done, but seems to be 'leaning' toward the macro procedure .... doesn't want to ask for fields to be filled in, just that all fields (containing the same data) be filled automatically when the first data is entered. (He's using http://www.its.rdg.a.../macros/#Create to learn more about macros.)

Thanks again