Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer repeatedly restarts on powerup..help!

• Please log in to reply

Otach

Otach

• Pip
  • 9 posts
First off- I have Windows XP Home Edition. I'm currently posting this from my father's computer. My Computer repeatedly restarts upon powering up. I don't know why I'm having this problem. I recently removed ALL spyware from my system, and I have Norton active all the time so I think it should have caught any viruses...

The other day my dad was testing power switches. He told me he was gonna test the power box switch that control's my computer and my T.V.'s power. So I turned off my computer and did something else for a little. After my father's power switch testing, I returned to my computer and tried to start it up. It says something like:

Windows did not start correctly last time, etc etc...choose from one of the following: The options are like, Safe Mode, and Start computer normally, etc...

so no matter WHAT I choose, whether it's any option of Safe Mode, or "last working configuration", immediately after the Windows XP green loading bar screen is done loading and everything, it flashes a blueish screen with some text on it like "Disk Boot" or something for literally a millisecond, then restarts all over. Same thing happens over...and over...and over, no matter what I do.

Please help me, I have absolotley no clue what is causing this, or what to do about it!

Advertisements

drew2815

drew2815

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
thats whats happening to me on my other computer too. I have no idea how to fix it. Somebody please help us!!!!!

Otach

Otach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
maybe it's a worm? please..need help Geeks to go!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is one of the reasons reboot on failure is such a bad idea, and a good reason to disable that.

I think you're both going to have to try a repair procedure, which can be seen in a thread posted atop this forum

drew2815

drew2815

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
atop this forum? i dont see anything that tells me how to make this stop.

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
At bottom of this page you should see a drop downw box with windows xp, 2000, 2003,nt in it click go this will take you to the page at top you will see xp repair under heading Topic Title.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

this thread...sorry

If you could get into safemode, we could perhaps see what is causing the problem....can you get into command prompt mode?