Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Very Slow!

• Please log in to reply

snowboardtogo

snowboardtogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok. I took several readings and the System Idle Process takes about a CPU usage of 98. The other 2 varies sometimes from explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe with both a CPU usage of 1.

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
OK. So we were on the right path with the memory. Now I look foolish for having pulled our attention away. I had to ask though. I've spent a lot of time chasing something like this down only to discover that it wasn't what I assumed at first....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
This one is probably OK also but check:

start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager

expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'

right click 'primary IDE controllers'...select properties, then 'advanced settings'

Transfer Mode should be 'DMA if available'

Do the same for 'secondary IDE controllers'

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
You would think that if there was anything wrong with the memory that there would be instability issues but there are none in this case. I would run memtest86 just to make sure:

http://www.netadmint...com/art278.html

Unless someone has a better idea, I think I would run it on all 3 first and then pull the two 256 sticks out and run it on just the 1G stick.

You should have memtest86 in your toolbox anyway, so I wouldn't consider it wasted time if it finds nothing wrong. I think I walked someone through making an ISO image awhile back. I'll see if I can't find it and post it here. The above link is for a floppy drive...

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a copy and paste from another thread on that ISO image:

to make a bootable cd for memtest86, go to the following link and download:

under ISO image.....3.2 ISO image (zip)

http://www.memtest86.com/

then go to the following link and download a trial version of Alcohol 120%

http://www.free-down...ms/Alcohol_120_

install alcohol 120%

make a folder on the desktop and call it: memtest86 and copy the downloaded memtest zip file to it. You'll need to have a free version of Winzip installed. Right click on the memtest.zip file and select: 'extract to here'. This keeps it all in the same folder.

launch that alcohol program and select: 'image burning wizard' and browse to the memtest folder. Select the file that you extracted and click burn.

I tested my disk and it works.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Looks like memtest86 has come out with a new release, 3.3. I'll have to make a new one. You'll find it under 'Free Downloads' in the link I posted above...

Edited by macten, 25 May 2007 - 07:42 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ok, I will run that when I get home. Snowboardtogo and I are the same person, and that account is being deactivated. I apologize for any confusion, or any other troubles.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
It won't let me use Alcohol 120% since I have alreay used up my trial period . :whistling:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Looking into it further, forget memtest86. I think there are two options. There may be a setting in the bios pertaining to dual channel that needs to be set. Other than that, what you need is a matched pair of RAM. They are sold together as a set. Even buying another 1G, identical to what you have, is not recomended.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well my dad ended up letting me moving the RAM around to differnt slots, and still no avail. So you are basicly saying, take back the 1 Gig stick, and buy a pair of 512MB???

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would take it back and buy a matched pair of 512M. According to what I've been reading they come as a set in the same package. With a store like Microcenter or OfficeMax all you have to say is: 'my machine won't recognize it' and they'll refund your money or exchange it. But first look in the manual that came with the motherboard and see what it says. Perhaps take the manual with you and show it to the salesman...

edit....as far as working with RAM: the best way is to wear a wrist strap. But if you know what your doing, you don't need it. Shutdown and unplug. Keep your feet stationary....don't move them. I place both hands on the frame for a few seconds to make sure that me and the computer are at the same charge potential. In the winter, I'll touch a metal lamp first and then the computer frame. Then remove/install the RAM. I try and grasp it on the far edges only.

Edited by macten, 28 May 2007 - 10:39 AM.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Ok, I will talk to my dad, and see if we can take it back.
We bought it at http://www.pcclub.com/, and they also installed it for us at the local store. If you could take a look at their website and let me know what you reccomend, it would be appreciated.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
When I need memory, I let Crucial make the call. I would remove that 1G stick and let Crucial scan your pc again. Click on 'Detail' and print out their recommendation and take it to the store with you. Also print out the screen that indicates 'Dual Channel Support' and 'matched pairs of modules'. Remember....your looking for a matched pair, a 'set', a 'kit'. Looking at their website, I noticed that they sell both Crucial and Corsair. Both are top of the line....

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I talked to my dad, and he said that we might take the PC in this weekend. So I will let you know the results of what happens.