Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Errors

• Please log in to reply

ernso705

ernso705

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My computer have been giving me the blue screen problem a couple of times in the past. Now it gives me a blue screen error saying, unmountable_boot_volume. And at the bottom it says:
Stop: 0x000000ED (0x81f85900, 0xc00000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Whats going on people???? Help me out. Hope its not too bad news. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This says the 0xC0000032 is a damaged file system, it says to run recovery console then chkdsk /r but you can click start then run then type chkdsk /f /r then press enter if you have not got recovery console installed, it takes an hour to get back to the desktop. Another check for system files is to click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Boot Volume

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this can occur when you have disk caching enabled...once you're up and running, you may consider turning it off

in device manager, choose your drive, and double click...go to the policies tab and uncheck disk caching

ernso705

ernso705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks guys, I did the chkdsk/r thing, didn't work, but fixboot worked. SO now i'm up and running.

But like in my other post, I still can't get my computer to read my USB port. Any suggestions???

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What other post?

First, are you absolutely certain the usb device works in another computer? It is worth checking. I had someone complaining about the jumpdrive not working but it was the jumpdrive.not the port

If the device works, do the following

start > run
devmgmt.msc
enter

Expand UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS

right click and uninstall each device

reboot.

Windows will redetect at startup...give it a few minutes as each host controller must be discovered separately and there could be several.

Then reboot again

Better

ernso705

ernso705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
gerryf, I tried that but I don't see any tags with that name. But I have two USB port input devices, one in the front and one in the back. And both connected to a different place on the motherboard.

Do you or anyone have any recomendations of Computer books that deal with errors, hardware/software problems and how to fix and deal with them??? Thanks guys.

ernso705

ernso705

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey, thanks guys, Flashing the bios did the trick. You guys are life savers, computer store probably would have charged me like $50 to do just that.

Another questions.

I have a computer that has been running really slow lately, its a fairly new Compaq P4 computer. It has a spyware remover program and an anti-virus program. I run them regularly but the computer still runs slow. What can you guys do for me???