Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building computer

• Please log in to reply

Matty0187

Matty0187

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I will be building a desktop midsept and i'mlooking for highest proformance possible out of it. I'm building it for a video game called Age of Conan (AoC). I'm bascially saving every penny and hopefully keep my eye out and buy the peices. While i dont know much about computers i was curious if someone could update me on some of the latest and upcoming greatest pieces that will be coming out. Furthermore, good cases, powersupplies and best places to buy computer parts. My budget is yet to be determind however it should be in the 3~4k range. So geeks Build away please ^^;;.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you are american you won't need to spend any more then 3k, anything more is just wasting money.
There will be price cuts on July 22nd on Intel processors, new graphics cards will be out and so will new processors that the main reason for this price cut from Intel.
But it's to early to say what you'll buy. Also I think that game is rumoured to come out Augest 22nd, pretty sure I saw that somewhere. It looks pretty interesting though.
really though we are only wasting our time talking about this because it's to early, since you don't know anyhting about computers I highly recommend you read anything and everything on them over the next couple of months.
James

Matty0187

Matty0187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ahh well i do know enough about computers. Date of release for AoC is oct 22. The game requirments are some that are not too standard. Any preticular mags. or website are the best for looking into upcoming products?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Read,
www.anandtech.com
http://www.vr-zone.com/
http://www.xbitlabs.com/
www.tomshardware.com (not really good lately due to someone buying them out)

Magazines are really out of date by the time you read them, online is the only way to do it now.
James

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
are you up for building this rig yourself? if not I would wait for a good dell coupon come late august when they have their back to school stuff and snag yourself a good gaming machine that would come with a monitor...of course at that price it would be MUCH cheaper to build your own and then buy a seperate monitor, but if you dont know what your doing...well then it would be a problem

if the game doesnt require for a really demanding rig, then I would suggest only spending about 2K of that money and wait until you have to upgrade the computer in the future- a great video card and a pretty high processor is all you need with a good amount of ram

for parts- check out newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com for some pretty good prices

Edited by soxrok, 19 May 2007 - 08:27 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you don't want to build I'd recommend looking about at local shops and asking for their price to build your rig. The XPS systems are typically 20-30% more then if you had built yourself. I'd look around before going to Dell, you can get good systems from other companies at better rates and since they'd be smaller better service as well. Just my 2cents.
James

Matty0187

Matty0187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i'm plenty capable of building it or getting it built for myself. I have tons of friends that have build there computer b4 again tho, I'm coming to you guys for best information. I'll check out keep upto date with the websites. I'll do my homework and hopefully at a later date i'll post an idea adn you guys can help me out from there ^_^

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i like having that feeling/attitude like "im gonna be putting together a new rig."
makes me feel good for u man.