Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help with NIS

• Please log in to reply

blazer1326

blazer1326

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey I was hoping someone could help me here. I installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my computer a couple months ago. It worked fine for a while but now it seems like it is causing some problems on my computer. The biggest problem is I am not able to log into my school email account. I'm not sure if this is being caused by Norton, but it seems like it because any other computer I use I can log in fine. The problem is I can't disable Norton because when I installed it I choose a password for the supervisor account, and figured I would'nt need to remember it because I would always leave it logged on as supervisor. Well i accidently logged off and now can't fix the problem. Does anybody know what to do? I really don't feel like calling symantec and having to pay by the minute to speak to someone I can't even understand. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the NIS disc then uninstall it and then re-install, the symantec site has a guide for removing it properly

blazer1326

blazer1326

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried that but my problem is I cannot log on as supervisor to uninstall it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go here, type supervisor password in search, 3 results click1, account with supervisor access, go to removing NIS when add / remove does not work, click one for XP, click this solution has moved to SymNRT, go to section 2

Symantec

Sorry for the long route but my experience with posting long links is that they usually do not work

Good Luck

Donna Clarita

Donna Clarita

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just downloaded SymNRT yesterday, but when I ran the program I got the message "program expired". Yet the "Removing your Norton program using SymNRT" document on Symantec's web site was dated 4/13/05. I called their "tech support". All they said was SymNRT does not work! After over an hour on the phone with their tech support, having me edit the registry, rename folders, I am in worse shape now as even my Norton SystemWorks is not working.

Is my only solution to reformat the hard drive? GoBack lost all previous restore points.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
TuneUp has shredder in file recovery, see if you can get rid of the files with this, make sure NIS is not running, use task manager to end any processes for it, make sure you are offline if no other firewall, use msconfig start up to make sure NIS is not running

Tune Up Trial

Make sure you only load NIS files to the shredder

Donna Clarita

Donna Clarita

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Keith,

Thank you!

Your suggestion worked (for the most part). I shredded all the Symantec files and folders I could find with Tune-Up (could not always tell which ones were NIS). I still could not re-install Norton Internet Security 2005 or SystemWorks 2005, but I was so impressed with Tune-Up I would rather use that than SystemWorks anyway (purchased the program an hour after downloading it). Tune-Up has really improved the performance of my pc.

And with the bug in the 2005 Internet Security from Symantec that caused all my problems in the first place I don't care to re-install that program anyway. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Donna,

Thank you for letting me know

TuneUp is the only trial I have gone on to purchase.

If you need a firewall and anti-virus there are a few trials at Microsoft

Firewall / AV Trials

A popular choice is Zone Alarm Free with AVG 7 Free

Zone Alarm

In Firewall settings you should set both sliders to high

AVG

XP Firewall only blocks incoming, so 3rd party ones are better, turm XP one off if you get another one