Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video files don't work..

• Please log in to reply

youngratty

youngratty

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
When I play any downloaded or existing video files on this Dell inspiron laptop (2 months old), the colours are completely wrong - (lots of bright green and orange screens).
THe same files work just fine when I transfer them onto my pc.
I've tried attaching the pc's monitor to this laptop and then toggling between the two screens while I play the files and they're then screwed up on both screens (which I think suggests it's not the LCD doesn't it???)

I've asked Dell support but their suggestion is that I back up everything and restore the machine to factory settings and see if it goes away.

Seems a bit of a scary and drastic course of action to me, so I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts or ideas I might try out first.

Thanks in anticipation of any helpful suggestions...

youngratty x :whistling:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi youngratty!

I would download VLC Media Player and try to play the files in question using that player. If it works fine on that player, then it is a codec issue. Codecs are what is used to allow Windows Media Player to be able to read certain types of video files. There are audio and video codecs that are needed for some video files.

If VLC does work, I would suggest you just stick with that player and play the video files on that since it is far better in my opinion, and doesn't need to have any codecs installed since it uses it's own built-in codecs.

I have used VLC for years and have never had a problem with it.

Fenor

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Fenor!! You are a star of the highest order!!
I just downloaded the VLC media player and my video files work perfectly!!!
YIPPEE!! Thank you so much.

Quite frankly I was dreading having to attempt to back up everything and restore the machine..

If there were not so much ocean between us, I'd be buying you a pint down the local pub right now!

Many, many thanks

youngratty xx :whistling: :blink:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad I could help! :whistling:

Fenor