Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP dosent boot correctly

• Please log in to reply

Snipedogg22

Snipedogg22

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok so i have an hp pavilion a705w and i just added an ATI radeon x1300 pci graphics card and its been three days and the first day i installed it and the screen wouldnt show up but i found out i had to enable vga mode on the start up the second day was fine then i put it on stand by and yesterday when i started it up it was a dark screen and i couldnt hear the windows noise that the computer makes and i looked at the card but then i could only see my desktop picture and nothing else i couldnt move my mouse and there was no start and i restarted it and i cant get to the bios all it does is go to the desktop picture after 15 minutes i know they way i explain it is weired but i cant explain whats wrong i thought it was the card but now i think there is another hardware problem can anyone understand this and help??

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Snipedogg22...

Have you installed the most recent drivers for your card from the ATI website? If not, give that a try. Follow their instructions for the install which will include uninstalling the old drivers first.

wannabe1

Snipedogg22

Snipedogg22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did that when i first installed it but i cant do anything i cant acces the computer at all i was thinking maybe it was the harddrive i really dont know. Im seding this from my friends computer because i cant use my computer at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried starting it in Safe Mode? To do this, power up the machine and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence...that should bring you to a Startup Options screen. Choose "Safe Mode" and press "Enter". Let me know whether or not it will start this way.

Snipedogg22

Snipedogg22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i cant do anything it dosent show the start up screen or anything now its just a black screen

Snipedogg22

Snipedogg22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i cant do anything it dosent show the start up screen or anything now its just a black screen

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Is the computer showing Any indication of life at all.

Have you tried a external monitor (or if is desktop unplug the monitor from the system turn it on to make shure monitor displays something)

Snipedogg22

Snipedogg22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes it is showing life it makes a im guessing an error beep after a while and the montor is working also i checked that before anything else. I think its more the computer than the monitor.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the Make and model of your computer or is it custom built. If it is Custom Built what is the Manufacture of your Mainboard?

What is the Sequence of beeps it is giving?