Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-Ram Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

yaman

yaman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello. Just recently my computer has been biting the dust as if the warranty had just ended. It is a laptop computer

TOSHIBA SATELLITE P35 series

However more importantly I'm assuming is the cd rom/dvd rom (I'm not really sure WHAT it is anymore!).

matshita dvd-ram uj-820S

It came built into my computer, and just recently decided that it did not need to work. I uninstalled the drive by...

1 - opened start menu
2 - right clicked my computer
3 - went to manage
4 - clicked on device manager
5 - DVD/CD-ROM drives
6 - Clicked my drive and uninstalled
7 - Rebooted and let it reinstall.

My computer now loads audio CD's alright, but DvD cds.... forget about it. I was under the assumption that since it says DVD in big letters on the drive that it would play them. Even loading audio CD's, it takes a while. The cursor goes from a spinning CD (how it used to do when it was loading a CD) back to the normal cursor for a second or two, then back to the spinning CD... it does this for about 30ish seconds and loads the CD. The DVD on the other hand just keeps doing the spinning CD/cursor routine for about a minute and nothing happens. If you try to open the CD drive (double clicking, AFTER going through the minute routine) I get an I/O error (which has never happened). I am at a loss as to what on earth is wrong with it.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT -

My laptop recently ran into a little power problem and the USB ports all got shorted out. The CD rom drive did not start acting up at the same time, however I'm sure it is very likely that the CD-rom drive may have become toast from this as well. It shorted out my USB keyboard (not the mouse, just the keyboard), I just find it strange that it went from playing nothing, to reading normal CDs and thought I would ask for assistance.

Nick

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
DVD drives are one of the few pieces of hardware that doesn't require a driver to communicate with computer. When you look in device manager does the drive show up like it orginally did? Are you trying to burn blank DVDs or play a pre-burnt DVD?

You can match up the error you are getting here: http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 May 2007 - 12:15 PM.