Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to disable IE and Yahoo mail

• Please log in to reply

mytimenowoki

mytimenowoki

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I know this sounds crazy, but I need to disable Yahoo mail and IE mail. I have a 30 yr old step daughter staying here at my house. She needs to find a job and not be playing on my computer! She has an Yahoo addy that needs to go. I visit yahoo groups at times, but I don't use the mail. Does anyone know how to turn off the mail and not the browser? I figure if I get rid of yahoo, she'll try to get one going on IE, so is there a way to disable outlook express also. I use aol and I will be using all addys real soon, lol...thanks for hearing me out!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
As long as she has access to the internet using your PC, she'll be able to check her mail. Best way is to password protect access to the PC and set up the screen saver to require the password when deactivated. If you have XP Pro, you can set policy as Admin.

Ron

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If she needs the computer to work on her resume, set her up a limited account that does not have internet access, and password protect your account. The computer won't be as much fun if she can't go online.

I would also urge your wife to get her daughter to a doctor for a check-up. At her age, moving in with mom and sitting in front of the computer all day might indicate depression, and she should be screened, and treated if necessary. You also sound quite frustrated, so maybe a talk with your minister or another professional would help you learn ways to cope with the new situation.
Johanna

mytimenowoki

mytimenowoki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks for your help, both of you. She isn't depressed, she just loves to talk to her friends, so I kick her off, telling her I have things to do. She moved in with us because she broke up with her boyfriend and now she can't find anyone to support her. It's a game she plays and I'm upset because my hubby kisses her butt, daddy's little girl. I guess I, wife , will have to play the wild card! lol.
I figured there was a way to turn off the mail by the internet address or something, put in the wrong number, delete a file or something.... I know I couldnt get my mail thru outlook express because it wasn't setup yet by the address or something. oh well. I' try something like you said. Again, thanks to both of you!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Good luck anyway. As long as she has Internet access, you will not be able to stop her from getting her mail online. The best way still is to cut her off from PC entirely by using a password to enter.

Ron