Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting comps

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I have two towers, and I'd like to connect them so that the second one is used mainly as storage... is this possible?....what else can I do with it?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
why not just use the hard drive. you dont really need 2 complete systems for storage.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Interpolarity!

Yes, you can connect the two computers so that one is used as a file server/storage. Do you currently have them connected? If not, you have some options:
1. Direct connection via Cat5e cross-over cable
2. Network connection via router

If you don't want to maintain the second computer, or if it isn't working very well, you can pull the hard drive out and install it in the first computer as a secondary drive or purchase a USB hard drive enclosure for it. It depends on how portable you might want the storage drive to be.

If you go the second route, you could then scavenge parts off the second computer and sell them or use them for replacement parts for the first computer (if they're similar) or sell them.

Does that answer your questions?

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
yes that does, but, in my technologically challenged mind, I thought that maybe the CPU/RAMs of each could eb combined to give more processing power?
I also wonder...am I able to have the second drive available online as a remote storage, so that I can access files from any computer VIA FTP or something?

Edited by interpolarity, 20 May 2007 - 07:17 PM.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi interpolarity. Try Xdrive is a FREE 5GB of storage on line.

http://www.xdrive.com/

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes CPU and ram can be combined to make a more powerful computer this is called clustering. How to do it I have not fully explored yet.

And yes technicaly can also can have the 2nt drive online however your EULA with either the OS or your ISP may prohibit it on both of those situations.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
that's great...i'll look it up, and wait for responses from someone who knows more on that (no offense meant :whistling: )

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
to cluster (and i mean truly cluster) two systems...you have to have a clusterable (that is so not a word) operating system...XP is not clusterable...i think the first clusterable MS OS was 2000 advanced server? and that didn't FULLY cluster multiple machines but came REALLY close....there are methods with certain versions of linux that can allow for system clustering....but i don't know anything specific there...

the basic answer is that TO MY KNOWLEDGE...you can't cluster two desktop computers without a special OS...the overhead on which would be too high for you to get any advantages from it

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
all right then, where can i find full instructions on how to connect the 2nd tower to the first just for file storage... ie, I don't need to use the second tower for anything other than that...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How do you plan to connect them then? Direct cable or router?

Advertisements

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
actually, let me fully explain what I would like....all I want from tower two, is the hard drive space...but I know nothing about hardware...if I try to remove the harddrive and get a USB hard drive enclosure, i might break it... :whistling:
and anyway, I might end up taking the second tower w/ me to after I leave home, and install Ubuntu on it, so for now, i want it intact...

in my mind, and an easy world, I connect the two towers, and the computer considers tower 2 as drive F: for example....I hope I am clear :blink:
:help:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't think you would break anything :whistling:

As I've stated previously, we need to figure out how you want to connect the two computers.
1. You can buy a Cat5e cross-over cable and connect it to the ethernet cards in both computers. That may not be a good solution if computer 1 must rely on that port for internet access. Here's a link that gives more direct connect options.
2. Or if you already have a router, you can connect them that way. See this G2G Home Networking Guide, Post #3, for instructions on connecting 1 to ? computers.

Hope this helps.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
looks like I'll go w/ option one...
thanks a lot...i'll post back w/ problems, or success (hopefully the latter)...thanx again!

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
If I connect both comps together, can I have the mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc, connected to one directly, and start up computer two and have it recognize the connected hardware from computer 1? (hope I am clear...)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To control two computers with one set of keyboard, mouse, and monitor, you'll need a KVM switch. Another option is to use Remote Desktop to take control of computer 2 when necessary.