Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless internet options

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i am wanting to use the internet at work however where i live i cannot get anyone to sell me a wireless card because they say that i dont have coverage in my area. cingular threatened to cut off my sell phones when i asked them about the card.

any way i waswondering if anyone new of some small company or of another route that i could take. thanks

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I think you are mistaking a wireless card with an air card. What you want ( from what you are saying ) is an air card that connects via cell phone service to the internet. Unfortunately if no one who has a tower in your area has them you are out of luck. IF you want a wireless card ( to connect to a wireless network that may or may not be connected to the internet ) then that is a seperate thing.... In that case you'd have to have a wireless access point at work and permission/password to use it... Not sure Why cingular reacted that way... maybe they don't have enough local bandwidth to support something like that...

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks for the information. no i was wanting to use my computer at work with the card that comes from my cell phone compamy. but they want sell me one because i want work in my home.

to me this sounds silly because why would i use a cell phone in my house when i have a land line. i mean of course i am going to use the cell phone when i am out of the house not in the house.

iwas wondering if their was a company that would sell me a card to use away from home.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I don't understand why that company wont' sell you one.... Why did they sell you a cell phone that doesn't work in your home then? as far as a company that will sell you one... you have to find who else has towers in your area.... those cards don't work with out tower coverage....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

no i was wanting to use my computer at work with the card that comes from my cell phone compamy. but they want sell me one because i want work in my home.

....this is ludicrous (on their part not yours)...the only reason that i cold concieve for them to not sell you one of these devices would be that the service is not available in your area....and even that's a stupid reason...the purpose of these cards is for you to have internet access anywhere you travel....so even if it doesn't work at your house...it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to assume that you would at some point, while travelling for work, be in a location where the service WAS available...

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey dsenette
your are correct with your responce. they say that i dont have service in my home area so they want sell me a wireless card.
they even threatened to take me cell phones away too the ones that i have had for over 2 years with the same company.
i guess that the customer is not always right

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

they even threatened to take me cell phones away too the ones that i have had for over 2 years with the same company.
i guess that the customer is not always right

that's even more rediculous...why in the world would they take your cell phones away just because you asked about another service?..the whole thing sounds silly to me

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
personally I'd be looking to see if another cell service could meet my needs if I was you.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well it is not as bad as it sounds. they said that if i would lie and give them a address this is in their coverage area they would let me buywhat they want.
they say that i cost them extra money because if i dont have coverage in my area them i am using towers of other networks. this is what happens when one big company buys out another.

any way i was wonderingif their was a small company on the net that would offer some kind of network that i sould use?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
AGain you would have to look to see what is available locally.... No one can suggest something to you if they dont' know where you are.... You will have to check with cell companies and see what they offer... try the phone book.