Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Error: Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and

• Please log in to reply

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey, I have Windows XP, SP2, and I have been getting a really annoying error lately every time I reboot.

A couple minutes after startup, it says: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I click "To see what data this error report contains, click here." and it shows this:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2945 Offset: 000ee00a

I have run Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware Professional, Spy Doctor 5, Zonealarm Anti-Virus and Spyware scan.
All of which, found, and removed, something (i.e. Trojan software).

I still get the problem. I have run these scans numorous times, with no more luck.

I ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW, which wanted me to enter the Xp disc to repair the .dll cache. Unfortunately, this didn't work.

Any suggestions (Other than formatting)?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
try this... alt,ctrl,del. when the task manager opens click file new task run when the dialog box appears type Explorer. press ok an restart

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
try this... alt,ctrl,del. when the task manager opens click file new task run when the dialog box appears type Explorer. press ok an restart are you running a program called spysweeper by any chance?

Edited by krmooo, 20 May 2007 - 10:54 AM.

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
That doesn't do anything.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
the program is clean sweep are you running that?
im thinking its some kind of software conflict between the adware and spybot and all those other spy, antivirus programs you have going on. run the task manager and see what the percent of available resources explorer.exe is using. if its close to 100 % then its a conflict between the above. which? not sure you'll have to uninstall them to see. we could try booting into safe mode and selecting command prompt option Change to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. this is the C:\WINNT\System32 folder.
Rename the Apitrap.dll file to Apitrap.old. and reboot

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think the problem might be Xfire. It wasn't doing it until I opened xfire, then it did it. It may be a coincidence.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
take it off an see?

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm going to try to uninstall it (using JV16 Powertools, to remove registry entries). See if it works, then I might reinstall it again. Because I have to have it for gaming.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok good luck lets hope its just that simple :whistling:

Benchwarmer969

Benchwarmer969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well, it seems to be working now. I disabled Data Execution Prevention for Explorer and Generic Host Process 32, as well as deleted all files and registry entries to do with Xfire (then reinstalled it, because I need it). I'm not sure which was the problem, but it seems to be resolved.

Edited by Benchwarmer969, 20 May 2007 - 02:35 PM.