Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitors don't power with PC

• Please log in to reply

robertsadler

robertsadler

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently built my first computer and it's been smooth sailing until now.

The last few days I have been working with alot of programs and windows. When I decide I am finished for the night I just set my computer to hibernate. When I am ready to use it again I just press the power button, vista does it's thing, and all my windows are back. It's great.

Well, last night I finished what I was working on and shutdown the computer.

This morning when I turned it on the computer seemed like it was booting but the monitors didn't power on. All the fans and lights were on, the CD drives were doing there thing but no monitors.
Concerned I moved one of the two monitors to another computer to test it. It worked fine. I moved the other one, that one worked fine as well.
I decided to test my video card so I put it into another computer. It worked fine. I hooked the two monitors previously mentioned up to it and they both worked fine.
I moved it all back to the origional computer and tried it again. Still didn't work.
I used a different monitor to test the card in the origional computer and it didn't work.
I cleared the BIOS. Still didn't work.
I unpluged the two CD drives and the HD and still nothing.
I made sure the card was snug and the onboard fan was on. It was.

Here are my thoughts:
I don't know if the hibernating has anything to do with it because the monitors won't turn on and load to the BIOS before windows starts.
The monitors power lights are an amber color. If I turn the monitors off then on the light turns to green for 5 or so seconds then turns amber again.
I unplugged the CD's and HD and nothing changed.
I don't have an onboard video so I can't test that.
I know the Card and the monitors are working fine because I tested them in another computer
This computer was working great until this morning.

Here are my specs:
Mobo: DFI 865pe-tag
CPU: P4 650 3.4 w/HT
RAM: Patriot Memory 2GB PC3200 DDR Kit (PDC2G3200ELK)
Video: GeForce 7800 GS (AGP)
HD: WD Raptor 150

Please help :whistling:

-Rob

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This happened to me recently and it turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. I would start out with booting up with one RAM stick at a time. Also try a CMOS clear especially if you overclock. This is done by simply removing the MOBO battery and putting it back in. Some MOBOs have a jumper to clear the CMOS. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 May 2007 - 01:50 PM.

robertsadler

robertsadler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I cleared the CMOS by the jumper.
I removed the mobo battery.
I also tried one stick of ram at a time. I even put in a different stick all together.
I tested the patriot ram in another computer and it worked just fine.

Still not working.

Any other suggestions?

-Rob

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well now it is not looking good. At this point there is a good chance that the MOBO is the problem. I would check this out: http://www.fonerbooks.com/video.htm.

Edit: Saw you conldn't try my next suggestion.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 May 2007 - 04:38 PM.

robertsadler

robertsadler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I took a look at the charts and didn't like what I saw.

Just when I was starting to like you for helping me, you tell me my mobo is dead. :whistling:

Well I posted this in the DFI forums that I just found. I hope it's not dead. I just bought it like 3 weeks ago.

This may be a big deal...... but I forgot to mention..... Before I cleared the CMOS I noticed that the CD drives seemed like they were looping every 30 seconds or so. Once I cleared the CMOS the looping stopped. I can only guess that the computer was restarting over and over. I can't verify any of this because I can't see the screen.

-Rob

I'll keep this thread posted with updates from DFI.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It would actually be good that this happened now and not in a year. I assume you still have a warrenty?

You mentioned something about your CD drive. Disconnect that and try to boot up. Once I had a pin partially out of one of my PSU molex connectors that was plugged into my CD drive. This caused simular symptoms until I killed the power to the CD drive. Also it is doubtful that it is the problem in this situation but go ahead and unplug your HDD too.

Just when I was starting to like you for helping me, you tell me my mobo is dead.

I understand this is the last thing people want to hear but I can't let it affect my judgement.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 May 2007 - 06:52 PM.