Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check disk

• Please log in to reply

snickers

snickers

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I am having problem doing check disk in Windows Vista. I to to computer, right click on C drive, select properties, and tools, check now and unchecked automatically fix now, and it looks like it is starting to scan, but then stops. Has anyone had this problem in Vista? Is check disk necessary?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Click on start > run (it's in Accessories) > type CHKDSK > click ok. It will run in a DOS screen.

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I tried that and nothing happens after typing in chkdsk in the run program.

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I think I have a similar problem as yours. I have a Vista Home Premium machine. If I manually schedule a boot time chkdsk /f, the chkdsk starts to run at boot up and stops at 8% (step 1 of 5). I have let it run that way for 13 hours without any change, or any indication of disk activity in the HDD light.

This is particularly a problem with boot-time defragmentation using 3rd party defraggers (such as Diskeeper, or PerfectDisk). For a boot time defragmentation, the defragger calls up chkdsk to ensure the drives integrity, and every time it does that, chkdsk stalls at 8% and does not go on. There is no quit option either. I have to hard-restart the machine, and press Esc to stop the chkdsk operation before it reaches 8%.

I hope someone in this forum can help!!

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Click start >> my computer> right click main drive>> properties >>tools >> Error-checking click 'check now'

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Whoa, Jacee! For a moment there, I thought you were making fun of me... :help: I mean, after I gave a detailed description of my problem, you came back with the basic steps that I have already done... :whistling: Then, I suddenly realized that you were replying to the poster above me... :help: whew!!!

Any chance you would offer a suggestion to my problem also? Pretty please? :blink:

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
aquarius012273, are you asking how to stop CHKDSK from starting at bootup?

(yes, my reply was to the poster above you)

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Ooo...hopefully you haven't damaged any system files by interrupting CHKDSK while it was trying to run.

I don't know if any of the tools offered by Sysinternals will help you troubleshoot your disks and files, but you might take a look here:
http://www.microsoft...ls/default.mspx

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
To your first question, no. I am not trying to stop chkdsk from running at boot. I am frustrated at the fact that when chkdsk starts running at boot in my Vista machine, it never gets part 8% (stage 1 of 6); it just stops there, doesn't do anything - with no HDD activity light. I have let it run for 13 hours straight in that condition, without any change. I want to know why this is happening, and how to address this issue. I seem to be coming up against blank walls. People have faced this problem often enough, but there seems to be no solution!!

I cannot access the computer from there, of course, because it has not booted yet, when this happens. So in order to start the computer in the regular fashion, I have to do a hard reboot. When I do, the chkdsk starts to run again, but there is a window of about 10 seconds. If one presses 'Esc' in those 10 seconds, the scheduled run is cancelled, and the computer boots up normally. Therefore, I don't think I have corrupted any system files; at least, the system file checker (command sfc /scannow) does not show any problems. That is the answer to your second question.

Thanks very much for the replies. I just hope there is someone who can come up with a solution to this. I am almost at the point of dumping Vista and re-installing Windows XP on my machine... :whistling:

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I hear your frustration :blink:

I would think you would want to stop CHKDSK from running at start up so that you could get into normal Windows, instead of the round-about way you're getting there now :whistling:

This is for XP Pro, but it might also work with Vista.
http://technet.micro...y/bb457122.aspx

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
BTW...I use JKDefrag v3.7 on my Vista. You might also want to take a look at it (it's freeware)
This is a write-up about it. Download link is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.freewareg...1/jkdefrag-gui/

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you very much, Jacee, for staying with me on this. I checked out those links. The technet page, I am familiar with. I had tried both chkntfs and fsutil commands to check if my drive was dirty; both reported that it was not. Which compounded my frustration!! :whistling:

JkDefrag looks like a nifty utility. I shall try it. But the major problem is still with boot-time defragmentation in Vista - whether you do it by Diskeeper (which seems to be a favorite with the readers of this forum), or by PerfectDisk (a similar, pretty widely used, and in my opinion better-than-Diskeeper, utility), or any other 3rd party defragger. Whenever you set up a boot-time defragmentation (in XP as well as Vista), the defragger calls up chkdsk /f to run at boot, before it runs itself.

This is where the trouble appears. Because chkdsk stalls on my Vista, I can never get to the stage of boot-time defragmentation.

This is not a problem with the defraggers. I emphasize that. The same thing happens even if I manually schedule a one-time disk-check at boot up through DOS or by right-clicking the C drive, going into properties, to tools, and so forth.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! That felt better. Meanwhile, I am still looking for a solution to this aggravating problem...

Take care, Jacee, and thanks once again! :blink:

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Thanks, I always try to take care :whistling: :blink:

Now,
I have a question for you...why do you need to "schedule" a defrag and check disk time? Are you having a problem with the Vista OS that you need to use chkdsk? Maybe you could explain your problem to us?

I know some people are really into schedules, but why not just do both (manually) when you have the time to walk away from the computer? It isn't a matter of life and death...
I clean up temps and history every other day, then defrag, reboot and I'm good to go.

Edited by Jacee, 21 August 2007 - 08:46 PM.

aquarius012273

aquarius012273

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh, Jacee! Posted Image
You so sound like a shrink!! Why do I need to schedule... ? Is there a transference? A deep, underlying trauma? :blink: :help: :help:

No, no, it is as simple as running a boot-time defragmentation for system files such as the pagefile, MFT, and other areas that are locked during a normal operation. The boot-time defragmentation - as I mentioned earlier - calls up the chkdsk /f process to check the integrity of the drive, before the defragger runs.

Every so often I need :) to run the boot-time defragmentation. I noticed the chkdsk problem on the Vista machine during one such cycle. And the geek in me gets irritated if a process like chkdsk - that is seemingly native to the OS - ends up throwing weird problems with the same OS. Trust me, when every time boot-time chkdsk stops at 8% (stage 1 of 5), that is pretty weird... and as I said, my frustration grows exponentially because I can find no solution any where!! :)

:whistling:

Edited by aquarius012273, 22 August 2007 - 12:30 AM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You can do a 'startup repair' or 'command repair' following the instructions here:
http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html