Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External DVD-RAM reader

• Please log in to reply

xnmmi77

xnmmi77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

Brand new to this type of forum, please be kind. We have a Hitachi digital video camcorder (DZ-GX5020A) that apparently is one of the few that is not really compatible with computers. What I need is an external DVD-RAM drive and the appropriate software capable of reading the mini disc it stores the pictures on (I contacted Hitachi, suffice it to say, they were not exactly specific enought to help us other than to say this model does not work directly with computers). The pc the external drive will attach to is a Compaq Presario 1700t w/XP. I have found a lot of external drives, but they all list the DVD-RAM in the "write speed" category not in the "read speed" category. That does make a difference, correct?

Thanks in advance, any input is welcome.

Regards.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The "read" speed of drives topped out years ago. The problem arrose that if the cd spins any faster it will implode. If you would like to test this yourself put a CD on a dremel tool (wear safety glasses). I'm fairly sure that all the drives on the market read CD/DVDs at the same speed now.