Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help me out with this

• Please log in to reply

dwyatt2g

dwyatt2g

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have two hard drives one with Vista and one with XP....How do I set up a dual boot so I can select one OS or the other?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dwyatt2g...

Because Vista and XP use different methods to access boot instructions and the fact that Vista will replace XP's boot.ini file with it's own boot loader (BCD or Boot Configuration Data store), the best way to accomplish a dual boot with these operating systems is to install Vista to the first drive and XP to the second. You will then have to use Vista's BCD and add the XP operating system to it. This can be done very easily using a BCD editor like Vista Boot Pro.

Once the Vista BCD has been edited to add XP, you will be prompted each time you start the machine to choose which operating system you want to start.

wannabe1