Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and System file missing/corrupt Question

• Please log in to reply

flock

flock

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, which is about 2 years old. This is a problem I have had for some time (about 4-5 months); I first started having the problem after my computer was running very hot for a while (a fan broke). This problem started to appear soon after. What happens is, I will get struck by a Blue Screen of Death (I believe the error has to do with Kernel/Page, sorry I know this is important but usually it restarts and I am not around), which nearly always automatically restarts into an error which prevents Windows from loading...the error is "Windows\System32\Config\System Corrupt or Missing" (recently one time it was a ntfs.sys file missing). I usually fix it either by the recovery or, more often, format method. At first it would take a couple of BSODS to bring that error, but now it happens after one BSOD and restart. After I format the install will last from anywhere between a week or two, or a day or two, before the BSOD strikes, restarts, and the aforementioned error appears (and I then format again). I know I should have taken care of this long ago, but got busy with school, etc. So, I am thinking it might be hardware related? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Thanks,

F.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Your registry needs to be restored to do this.
Please follow the instructions Here

You need to replace that fan because it can interfere with proper operation of the system.

flock

flock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I did replace the fan, I meant it started happening after that period of potential damage occurred.

One quick question: my registry needs to be restored to do what? Wouldn't formatting all those times have restored it?

Also, I do not know if this helps, but I am attaching a DiskCheckup hard drive export file (it would not let me upload it, but I should add it said OK for status for all, though the first read error line had a threshold of 34). Also, I looked for the minidump folder and did not have one, could that be because I have not had any BSODs since reformatting?

Thanks,

F.

EDIT: After re-viewing the link, I can see that this is the process I have used before to recover from the system missing/corrupt error without having to format, however I always got the same BSOD and restart and error within a week or day or so, i.e. it did not fix the problem. Also, re:heat I should add that even after replacing the fan it seems to be a bit warm; the DiskCheckup listed 105 F for the hard drive ...is that high, or could it be the source of these problems?

Edited by flock, 20 May 2007 - 11:09 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
get your computer up and running by using those instructions I posted. After doing that download HDtune in my signature and run it not a quick scan.

flock

flock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Here is the HDtune scan info:

HD Tune: ST94011A Error Scan

Scanned data : 38139 MB
Damaged Blocks : 4.8 %
Elapsed Time : 41:56

Temp. ranged from 37C at rest to 46C at most active.

Thanks,

F.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You hard drive is corrupted/May be bad.

Go to start > run > cmd press enter

Type in chkdsk /r
Restart your computer

Rerun the test see if the damaged blocks disappear.

flock

flock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I did what you said, and when I restarted I got the following error which prevented Windows from loading:

<Windows root>/System32/ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt

I had to re-format to get Windows back up (I used the Compaq QuickRestore System Recovery/Restore Factory Setting CDs as usual).

When I got it back up, I ran the HDTune scan again; here is the info from the new scan:

HD Tune: ST94011A Error Scan

Scanned data : 38139 MB
Damaged Blocks : 4.8 %
Elapsed Time : 40:05

Thanks,

F.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You have a few options here.

Basically you have a failing HDD.

1 you can try to salvage it you can do a low level format

What is the model of your hard drive manufacture.
There are also some programs out there that will repair drives.

2.) You can get a new drive which you may land up doing anyways.

flock

flock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to go with a new hard drive. Luckily these drives are easy to replace on his laptop (just slip out and in). Should I just look for a drive which is listed as compatible with a Compaq Presario 2100?
Also, is the 38C rest temp ok? Just asking as not sure proper range (its summer here btw)?

Also, more info if this helps:

HD Tune: ST94011A Information

Firmware version : 3.04
Serial number : 3KW0JW46
Capacity : 37.3 GB (~40.0 GB)
Buffer size : 2048 KB
Standard : ATA/ATAPI-6
Supported mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)
Current mode : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

S.M.A.R.T : yes
48-bit Address : yes
Read Look-Ahead : yes
Write Cache : yes
Host Protected Area : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: no
Power Management : yes
Advanced Power Management : yes
Power-up in Standby : no
Security Mode : yes
Firmware Upgradable : yes

Partition : 1
Drive letter : C:\
Label :
Capacity : 38146 MB
Usage : 12.79%
Type : NTFS
Bootable : Yes

Thanks again,

F.

EDIT: Would a hard drive something like this be an acceptable choice for a replacement:

http://tinyurl.com/yp6tod

Thanks.

EDIT 2 (Sorry): HDTune lists the drive as ST94011A, so it looks to be a Seagate Momentus ST94011A 40GB Hard Drive (Seagate-ST94011A)

Also, do you recommend any particular HD maker? Thanks.

Edited by flock, 21 May 2007 - 11:05 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes 38c is ok temperature.

Any Portable Hard drive will work. They are all the same size.

As for a Particular hdd manufacture I usually just get the least expensive one. Keep your receipts though because they come with a long warranty. Last time I bought one it came with a 3 year warranty.