Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need advice on a low-cost PDA

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Nothing expensive. Something to keep a date book. download e-mails off the PC via a cradle. I have a Palm III I'm borrowing and it's OK. I bought the HP4355, with a built-in keyboard, but it was a rebuilt one and the battery didn't hold the charge. One friend swears by IPAQ. any suggestions?

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
What do you consider expensive? I had an old PSION revo( over ;) ) that did what you described. I figure they are either all in musea or available secondhand. I have no idea what they may cost.
Before that I had an Osaris. It too is in the musea. Available here and there secondhand. Pretty much the same as above, but slower and with an odd screen. Above two have keyboards, which for real text is handy. You probably get a candybar if you're willing to come pick one up, I doubt they cost much. ( warning: this thing is really ancient! Even though it too installed and ran perl, VIm and 'Elite', just slow. )
Right now I use an ASUS MyPal A730 which serves me well. It has some quirks with the camera, but I don't use it for that much. ( I watch movies, play music while I cycle, try to get VIm running[worked], try to get apache running[worked], try to get perl running[worked], try to get a perl CGIscript executed[failed so far] and occasionally play an amiga game ). It will also do what you mentioned. They are not the cheapest, but I think they're coming off the hype-crest. The prices are dropping.

Hope this helped :tazz:
Ojo

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Thanks Ojo. I have never looked at the Asus. :tazz:

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Also, you can look at Dells Handhelds. I have their new model (X50) and I love it. Hope that this helps.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I was wondering about the Dells. How long have you had it? What kind do you have?

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have had it for about 2-3 mounths. I have the new model the X50, the only grip I have with it is when upgrading the fireware you have to make sure that you have everything backed up since it will delete everything on(also any SD/CF cards). I also like their old models too. Hope that this helps.

PS: If you have one with intergrated wireless it is 802.11b only (atlest it was 2-3 mounths ago)