Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying new computers

• Please log in to reply

em-j

em-j

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am so confused that I could cry. I run a tiny nonprofit. My computer is dying, and we're adding a second staffer, so it's time to buy computers. Can I ask you some questions?

1. I have never used anything but Dell, but I'm being told HP business class is better. Do you agree? If so, how do you configure an HP business class machine? I'm finding that it's nowhere near as easy as when you build yourself a Dell or even HP home.

2. I'm finding that there are consultants who will not sell me a machine with Vista. I realize there are kinks being worked out, but I don't want to have to upgrade computers in 6 months or a year. Should I start with Vista?

3. How do I find someone local to help me with this? I will need help transferring files from my old machine to my new, Vista machine, and I need help setting up a wireless network. Is it worth trying Dell's set-up people as part of the price of the computers? So far, the only person who was highly recommended refuses to order Vista, as well as an Intel Core 2 Due Processor -- won't tell me why, just tells me to do what I want if I won't take his advice.

4. we already have a router and wireless internet, but I'm told I need an upgraded router. How do I choose a router? This seems to require a lot of technical know-how even to read reviews and select.

Any other advice to the forelorn?

Advertisements