Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Notebook wont boot, Opinions Plz!

• Please log in to reply

vettegofast

vettegofast

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My Dell Inspiron 6000 has a 1.6 Pentium M w/ 1Gb ram and 60 Gb HD. It will not boot on battery or AC power. I dont even get the Bios screen, or anything on the screen for that matter. No beeps when starting up either. The power light comes on for a couple of seconds, then it just turns off.

I have taken it apart and cleaned it. Re-seated the memory, processor, CMOS battery, and the HD.

Can you experiences guys give me an idea as to what to try? I am not very familiar with Notebooks. I am thinking its the Mother board since i dont even get the BIOS screen at all.

Thanks!!

Advertisements

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I just did some tests on a latitude at work. If i either pull out the memory or the processor, it acts exactly like my PC at home. I am thinking about pluging my my processor and memory into the latitude and see if it boots. That should tell me if its the mobo right? Thanks.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would check the output from the power supply with a volt meter. It will be DC volts and the rated output should be on the bottom of the power supply. If it's ok then the jack or port on the laptop could be defective.

If you can get your hands on some more RAM to test, that would be good. I'm not saying to buy it cause we aren't sure what the problem is.

I would have done exactly what you did. Take it apart and re-seat everything.

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried my processor and memory in another laptop. They aregood. Im ording a mobo. Thanks.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would check the voltage on the cmos battery with a volt meter....

edit....on second thought, if it was the battery you would be getting some sort of error on the screen which you are not, so it's probably not the battery.

Edited by macten, 22 May 2007 - 11:58 AM.