Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Hard drive's size shown smaller

• Please log in to reply

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Yea, I already have the BIOS drivers, so I could do it whenever. And for the run XP setup, it shows the drive to having 131gb. Ill now try fdisk.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you devide the disk to more then one partition? If yes, did you create the second partition? because if not then you will have all the space beyond C marked as unallocated.

If you did everything right Then I suggest you approach Hitachi's technical support. You have telephone numbers and e-mail addresses in this page.

I couldn't find the required program in Hitachi's site. However, I can assure you that the fix for this known problem is available by other HD manufacturer's. I wouldn't recommend any drastic action like BIOS update before consulting the technical support.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
No it was not partition so I can see the unallocated space, its like 107 gb. I am pretty sure that this is a XP problem, because it shoes it as 127gb, and the XP disc shows it as 131gb. However, the BIOS shows my HDD as a full 250gb.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
So you say, in other words, that you formatted the entire disk from head to bottom and got only 127 gb?

I don't see what fdisk is going to give you. The limitation, if there is any, is in the BIOS. Search through BIOS menus and see if you find something related. If you plan to update the BIOS be aware that if the process fail you will most probably loose the motherboard. I repeat my suggestion to consult the technical support of Hitachi.

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
why would he lose the motherboard if bios update fails ??
would reformatting the drive solve any problems ??

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you still have XP installed on the 40gb drive make it the master and the new one the slave, actually you should have an 80wire cable and both set to cable select. Use the XP-sp2 to format the drive for the full size. That's what should have been done first. Then switch the drives and install XP on it. In practice the 40gb drive is probably more rugged so you might consider keeping your OS on it, but you can still install on the 250 as backup, then you will be safe.

PS: You might want to consider updating you BIOS, usually a simple process but if it's done wrong it can damage your system.

Edited by Tyger, 21 May 2007 - 01:45 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look at this page from Western Digital. It will explain the problem and the fixes.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Tyger, I did what you told me to do. I formated it, but at the end the total size is STILL 127gb. PLEASE HELP!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
What does Windows say under Disk Management?

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
It shows the DISK 1 as 232.88 GB. And then it shows 127gb ACTIVE, and 104gb Unallocated. So windows can read it but it cant make a drive large enough?

Advertisements

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I am going to make the Unallocated into a Partition.. Meh... good Enough,

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
See if you can grab a program that will merge the two partitions, even if you find a trial of something - you'll only need to do it once! A quick google search has shown me <http://partitionlogic.org.uk/> which is a freeware one, I don't know if it works or not, but see what you can find. Otherwise, "good enough", you say... :whistling: