Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD 0x0..24

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
My son's IBM Thinkpad T30 is getting a little way through boot and then it gets the BSOD and then tries to reboot, then BSoD, over and over. It has Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M and 512 MB with XP Pro. I made a disk with SeaToolsDOS.iso and tried to boot off that to see what is happening and it wont boot (I changed the BIOS to boot from CD, though noticed it didn't have a + next to it). I pressed F1 and got into setup and set the boot mode to diagnostics and it stated that 638K system RAM passed and approx 512 (?) MB extended RAM passed.
The full error code is : Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82F30860, 0x00000102, 0x000000)
I checked in the How-To Guides & Tutorials under BSOD Codes and as it wont boot up completely I couldn't follow any of the suggestions. I also did a search on the Microsoft Tech site and it refers to 0x0..24 errors only as a Windows 2000 error and similarly their suggestions require full boot. I also discovered that the BIOS version and the embedded controller version are out of date (don't know if this has any impact?).
My son is in his final year at school and has all his work for this year on the notebook. He hasn't made any backups!! Apparently he has seen the blue screen a number of times in the past couple of weeks and didn't do anything about it .. just rebooted and it was OK. It now just keeps rebooting and doesn't get very far.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if the HD's had it, is there any way I could recover a couple of folders which he has stored in Shared Folders.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
from memory the 0X24 errors are rarely the same thing for each PC...but i'll double check

for the seatools.iso...did you just burn that to a disk or did you burn it as an iso...there is a difference

to get the data back...yeah there are quite a few ways of doing that...the easiest would involv egetting a usb hard drive enclosure for the drive and hooking it up to another PC to get the files back...just hook it up and copy the files over....you need to make sure that you get the right kind of enclosure...usually laptops have a 2.5" drive...so you need to get a 2.5" enclosure (they usually say "for laptop hard drives" on them)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I burnt the iso to a CD. How do I burn it as an iso?
Thanks Monkey for your fast assistance. I'll get a USB 2.5" hard drive enclosure when the computer store opens.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depends on what burning software you're using...most have an option to burn an ISO as an ISO image...what software are you using?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Ahem ... I dunno! I've got Vista Home Premium and I just go into My Computer, pop in a disk, select what I want to burn and then press burn! I just put the disk in and had a look at it and it says it's an ISO file.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...that's what we call the wrong way to burn an iso file hehehe
download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image[/color][/i]

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Will CDBurnerXP Pro work on Vista? The laptop has XP Pro and the computer I'm on at the mo has Vista.

Edit: Just had a look and to answer my own question ... yes

Edited by frantique, 21 May 2007 - 11:41 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you found the answer...cus i didn't know

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Dave, can't get CDBurnerXP Pro to work. I downloaded the latest version. and it says I'm "running Windows NT or Windows 95 and the program may not work". When I get the options box for a new compilaton and I click create a data etc it says "the drives could not be initialised" and when I click OK it says "there are no compatible CDR drives reported. Some older CDR drives are not supported".
Any ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
bah!..have you run a normal chkdsk on the machine? can you get to safe mode or safe mode with command prompt? do you have the windows disks?

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Don't have the windows disks (came preloaded) and can't get into safe mode or safe mode with command prompt.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Apparently the latest version (3) of CDBurnerXP Pro is not compatible with Vista yet, only the version 4 which is just out in Beta and not available yet.

Are there any other free CD Burners I could use - how about Nero?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Yes, Frantique, there are ... try this one http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm
Oh, OK!
That did the job! You're a champ, Frantique :whistling:

First thing that came up was a message saying "Drive has been overheating -- 250". Did the short test and it passed. Was halfway through the long test and noticed an incredible amount of heat coming out of the side of the notebook, so aborted.

Phoned the 2 computer stores in town to get a USB HD Enclosure and neither has one in stock. Could drive to next town and get one and decided to take it in to one of the local techs and he has connected an IDE cable (?) and it showed nothing under files for the partitioin with all the data. He is doing a HD diagnostic he downloaded from the Hitachi site (the HD is hitachi). He'll call me when it's completed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yech!....hopefully you can get something back (hehe i think i read someone on the forum say "in all my years i've never heard of a harddrive overheating causing a problem" yesterday...heheh) sorry that i kind of dropped out on you there....but i figured your aussie tenacity would kick in..

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

sorry that i kind of dropped out on you there....but i figured your aussie tenacity would kick in..

I realised you were due to check out of your work digs ... and yes it did!
I read in a thread about a laptop overheating where Keith suggested carefully vacuuming any dust from the vents - which I did in the absence of the Domestic Goddess! I checked that the fan is working (with the help of a torch) and it was.
The disk check came up OK and the tech put a couple of recovery programs to work and the notebook eventually came back to life and seems OK. He has no idea what caused the problem and suggested defragging, and reformatting the drive and reinstalling. I'm defragging it at the mo.
I quickly had a look in the Event Log under System and just before it fell apart the ATI HotKey Poller started. There have been a couple of intermittent errors regarding NTFS file system and a number of errors regarding not being able to synchronise time.
Windows came preloaded and I don't have disks. When we got it (reconditioned 2nd hand) it didn't have SP2 so I downloaded and installed it. The tech guy has disks for XPSP2 and not for the original. Can I use these or do I need to get the original from somewhere?
Any other suggestions to determine what the problem might be?
I guess after it finishes defragging I ought to do some malware checks.

Edited by frantique, 22 May 2007 - 07:04 AM.