Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD 0x0..24

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

(with the help of a torch)

for anyone who doesn't know...she means a flashlight...not a blowtorch

Windows came preloaded and I don't have disks. When we got it (reconditioned 2nd hand) it didn't have SP2 so I downloaded and installed it. The tech guy has disks for XPSP2 and not for the original. Can I use these or do I need to get the original from somewhere?

do you mean for a format reinstall? or for a repair?

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
You can both tell me to shut up and but out... but my 1st action would be a backup of data.

You never said you've done that.

Defrags and scans on a suspect drive with valuable data is ASKING for trouble...almost as bad as a normal member butting in with 2 staff UBER GEEKS.

*/hides now/*

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hehe fran's just UBER Chic...not UBER Geek....

but yeah....back up everything on the darned computer that you want to keep....if the tech doesn't know what happened or why what he did fixed the problem...then the problem isn't really fixed...and will probably come back right in the middle of a thesis or a final exam paper...

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

hehe fran's just UBER Chic...not UBER Geek....

Monkey you know me so well!
Even before I brought it back from the tech shop I got him to save all the docs to disk. :help: Do I need to back up the programs? Can I? When I got it I put Open Office on it because that's what they use at my son's school ... so that's no problem.
I meant reinstall cause that's what the tech suggested, however, I am open to your valued suggestions. If it would be better to try a repair I could do that ... so long as you hold my hand! :whistling: The only time I have ever looked inside a computer was yesterday when I was filling the trailer with junk to go to the tip (dunno what you call the tip! - you know, the place where you dump all your junk!). I had a very, very old machine hanging around and thought I'd peek in and take a look .... :blink: I decided there and then that I would rather spend my spare fun time cooking up a gourmet meal or digging in the garden!
Do I need the original disks to do a repair?

Edit: Oh, and bodmad, I certainly don't mind you butting in.

Edited by frantique, 24 May 2007 - 01:46 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you have the COA sticker on the computer? if so you SHOULD be able to do a format/reinstall with his disks and your COA...i don't THINK that the sp2 will matter...but it might...and if it does....you may need to either find an SP1 disk or buy a new copy of XP...your son should be able to get an educational copy from his school or the internet if it comes to this

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
So, do I need to do a repair or a reinstall? (PS you probably know more about this than the tech!)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it's hard to say....

did the tech guy do any drive diagnostics on it before sending you home with it?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Well that's an interesting question! Don't think he did. He did check the HD though. There are a couple of error messages in the event viewer saying that the HD is corrupted and has a problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it.

once you install it and run it...go to the S.M.A.R.T. tab and get me a screenshot.....

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Did you or he do a chkdsk on it? I'd do that right away with both boxes checked (now that files are backed up).

Didn't notice you say you had a COA on your computer.... Do you?

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Bodmad, there may very well be a COA on this notebook ... only problem is I have no idea what a COA is, so at the mo I can't anwer this question.
Also I don't think he did a chkdsk. I will initiate this right now.
Monkey, I'll do as you suggest.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
COA - Certificate of Authenticity...it's a sticker (probably on the bottom of the laptop) with the license key for windows

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Sorry, COA stands for Certificate Of Authenticity (that fancy windows sticker with your activation code on it).

When I apologized for butting in it was mostly because I was offering the most obvious of advice (back up files). I know dsenette well enough from other times I've gotten into a thread of his (or he's rescued someone I was trying to help). I wasn't sure about you, I didn't want to insult/irritate you. Glad I took the chance and am getting to know you some. BTW someone just beat you in the trivia...

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts

BTW someone just beat you in the trivia...

I didn't need to know that .... looks like my moment, no, second of glory has gone!!!!!!!!

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Yes it does have a COA with product key.
Could I get some help with chkdsk. Do I go to "run" then type "chkdsk"?