Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot access partitioned drive

• Please log in to reply

adillo13

adillo13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently lost use of my second drive (titled "E"). I can hear the hard drive working rhythmically in the background (every second or so). My "c" drive is still active. This has windows on it. I have zone alarm, AVG antivirus and spysweeper running. I have found no spyware. I recently ran a p2p bittorrent program, and wonder if I downloaded something that has caused this. I have tried to access the program, but it is on my "E" drive. Also, most of my computer now runs very slow. I cannot run AVG antispyware, the original is on my E drive, and when I install another copy to my C drive, it freezes. I have created a new restore point, and have used ATF cleaner. When I do a full scan of my system with either Spysweeper or AVG antivirus, I cannot access my E drive.
Can anyone assist me with this?
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you click E in my computer? what do you mean by "I lost use" of the drive.

"When I do a full scan of my system with either Spysweeper or AVG antivirus, I cannot access my E drive." What do mean by this? Is there any way in which you can access E?

adillo13

adillo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello skeptic.
When I click on E, I get a message stating "The disk in drive E is not formatted. Format it now?"
I cannot run any programs that are on E.
Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to My Computer. Right click local disk E. Go to Properties > tools > error checking > check now. Check the two boxes and click Start. Let the computer run the entire process.

adillo13

adillo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I clicked on My Computer, Right click disk E, properties, tools, check disk errors, i checked both boxes, and hit start. The check disk local disk box grays for a moment, then disappears.
BTW, when I looked on properties. It says that the size of the drive is 0 bytes, and the used area of drive is 0 bytes. The partition (C is the other partition) should be 80 gig. It also says that the file format is RAW.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look at the make and model of the HD. Enter the manufacturer's internet site and download a diagnostic tool for windows. Install and run a complete test of of partition E or of the entire disk.

It looks as if the file tables were damaged and the computer is lost when approaching E.

adillo13

adillo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Skeptic,
Will do that today.
Adillo